New Palm Treo Smartphone Navigator GPS Edition 2 with TomTom Navigator 6!!!
Yesterday Palm released its absolutely terrific new Treo GPS Navigator Smartphone Edition 2 with the latest version 6 of the TomTom Navigator software for USA and Canada.
As regular Treonauts readers will undoubtedly already know my experience with GPS navigation solutions for the Treo has been absolutely superb (see Travelling with a Treo GPS In My Pocket and Treo GPS: Accessory of the Year) and it’s become an indispensable tool to help me get from A to B as quickly as possible without getting utterly lost while driving in cities across the US.
Until now my favourite GPS kit has consisted of the TomTom Navigator 5 GPS Bundle because its included GPS receiver was probably the single most elegant high-end SiRF StarIII powered one available. Nevertheless, although the TomTom bundle is beautifully designed and excellent in terms of performance it only includes a receiver and navigation software and requires the additional purchase of a separate vehicle mount as well as a car charger which can bring the total cost to some $350 or more.
Palm’s new Treo GPS Navigator Smartphone Edition 2 bundle priced at only $299 however conveniently includes _all_ the accessories (with a combined value of some $395) that you’ll need to use your GPS solution in the car. The package consists of:
- TomTom NAVIGATOR 6 software ($149.95 value)
- 1GB SD card ($44.95 value) pre-installed with map of the continental United States and Canada
- USB 2.0 SD card reader ($19.95 value)
- a beautifully designed small and light GPS receiver powered by SiRFStarIII with Bluetooth wireless technology ($129.95 value)
- Vehicle device cradle with mounting bracket and suction cup pad ($29.95 value)
- Vehicle power adapter with dual connectors to charge your GPS receiver and Treo smartphone ($19.95)
The package is undoubtedly great but there’s even better news. Many TomTom Navigator owners had previously complained of the relatively complex procedures to install the navigation software on their SD cards. With Palm’s new bundle this installation complexity is completely removed because all of the maps already come pre-installed on the included 1GB SD card – the only thing that one needs to do to get started using the TomTom Navigator software is simply to insert the card into your Treo. Moreover, better still is the fact that the SD card is compatible with the Treo 700p, Treo 700w and Treo 650.
Additionally, the latest version 6 of the TomTom Navigator software among others delivers these enhancements:
- Better coverage with the latest Tele Atlas maps with coast-to-coast, cross border, door-to-door navigation between USA and Canada
- Arrival time-based planning so you can calculate when you'll reach your destination-even factor in delays
- Speed limit information for the roads you're traveling so you'll always know the limit, even between signs
- Improved point-of-interest searches help you find nearby restaurants, gas stations along your route, attractions in the town you'd like to visit, and more, with greater speed and ease
- Safety Lock lets you view less menu options while driving for better safety
Overall I believe that Palm has done an incredible job developing its Treo GPS Navigator Smartphone Edition 2 – it offers terrific value, includes all relevant accessories, has a gorgeous new high-end GPS receiver, is extremely simple to install and use and includes the latest version of my favourite TomTom Navigator software.
I cannot more highly recommend to those Treonauts who have not yet had the opportunity to experience GPS navigation on their Treo to give this latest bundle a try. Meanwhile, those Treonauts who like me already own the TomTom Navigator 5 software will be anxiously awaiting the separate release of just the Navigator 6 software on an SD card as well.
Treonauts are always navigating the world…