Sprint Treo 800w First Real Image!

Treo 800w for Sprint Now Expected July 13th

Thanks to some more leaked (blurry of course) images it appears that most rumours pointing out that the forthcoming Windows Mobile Sprint Treo 800w would be released in “Charcoal Black” (below) were correct…

Sprint Treo 800w

For the first time we also get the opportunity to see the Treo 800w actually running Windows Mobile Professional as well as getting a feel for what the device looks like in one’s hand – it apparently feels quite small (just a bit larger than a Centro) and certainly not as thick as I had previously expected.

Sprint Treo 800w - Back

I also have to admit that whereas my initial take on the new looks of the Treo 800w a couple of weeks ago was less than positive I am actually increasingly warming up to its design.  It must be the sheer excitement of a new Treo smartphone release that’s winning me over.

There is actually much to get excited about.  For starters there are the high-end Treo 800w specifications that among others include:

• 802.11g WiFi with dedicated On/Off WiFi button
  • EvDO Rev A. High Speed Wireless Data Connectivity
  • 320 x 320 Touchscreen
  • Autonomous built-in GPS
  • 2.1 Megapixel Camera
  • A2DP Stereo Bluetooth Headphones support
  • Bluetooth 2.0 +EDR
  • USB Sync & Charge Connector (will likely require new accessories)
  • Windows Mobile Professional 6.1
  • ARM1136 Processor
  • 100MB+ Free RAM

Next is the price which is now rumoured to be only $249.99 (with a standard 2 year contract) which should help position the Treo 800w at a rather attractive price point against the likes of BlackBerry devices in an enterprise market increasingly eager to save costs in the current recessionary climate (particularly as Windows Mobile smartphones can connect to MS Exchange servers at no extra cost).

Palm 2008 Smartphone Lineup

Finally, aside from the Sprint Treo 800w coming out shortly you can also expect to see the Verizon Centro (hopefully this month), followed in September by the Verizon Treo 800w and the GSM Treo 850 for AT&T.

Palm Treo 800w spotted in new pics [via engadget]

Treonauts always want to be first

Posted by Andrew on June 5, 2008 at 11:31 AM

Treo 800w

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Sprint Treo 800w First Real Image!:

Comments

by hdarst | Jun 5, 2008 4:03:39 PM

Given the others are list 800w, is it possible that ATT is possible a Palm OS?

by Jack | Jun 5, 2008 4:22:42 PM

The 850 is probably a replacement for the 750, which is WinMo.

by Matt | Jun 5, 2008 6:29:36 PM

Is there no chance of a Palm OS version of the 800? I'm hoping to finally have a suitable replacement for my Verizon 700p!

by Jack Bower | Jun 5, 2008 7:51:15 PM

Yawn....

by random9q | Jun 5, 2008 8:55:56 PM

@Matt:

An 800p? It might possibly have to be minus the WiFi, since PalmOS has had difficulty incorporating new internal hardware like that. It also might be minus the internal GPS, I've no idea if that is also a limitation.

Given that they can't risk ANY minuses in this game because of acknowledged let-downs in the recent past, and that they've apparently articulated a strategy which gives WinMo the "Treo" line outright, I would be shocked and maybe even a little disappointed in the inconsistency in an 800p. Mind you, I could use an 800p myself. But I think the inconsistencies and possible "also ran" market perception of anything with any MINUSES would be a serious misstep.

by Andrew | Jun 5, 2008 9:08:29 PM

Considering that new NOVA OS devices will not be released by Palm before the first half of 2009 I have to admit that I would also have liked to see one last Palm OS Treo 8XX released this year but it's unfortunately 99% certain that this will not happen...

One good thing is that NOVA devices are expected to be nearly 100% backward compatible with existing Palm OS applications.

by random9q | Jun 5, 2008 10:35:36 PM

@Andrew:

Would that mean TWO emulators or ONE? We're already running a 68k emulator to handle PalmOS < 5 apps. Either solution is tricky to pull off and I'm still suffering from the "great pre/post NVFS schism" in my software. [For the uninitiated, Llamagraphics published a great white paper aimed at developers circa Treo 650 release-era that explains the problems to other developers.] Very small yet very tech-savvy little company, IMHO.

Having survived this kind of thing once, though, I'm prepared to divest myself of "hacks" that won't work in the new OS very well. There's a lot of useful stuff out there that just doesn't survive very well in a cache-starved stuffed-to-the-gills Treo like mine.

But, again, do you know if it'll be one emulator or two?

by jahrahm | Jun 6, 2008 4:10:43 AM

My wife has the 700wx and is very excited about the up-coming 800w. I have the 700p and will have to settle for it because I need a new phone! However, I am underwhelmed by any device running WinMo. Palm takes to long to upgrade thier hardware and software. Meanwhile Blackberry is light years ahead of them. The BB Bold look great and the specs look even better! I'm going to try this new Treo out once it's released (July release date... I won't hold my breath!!!!!) but I will return it on the 30th day if I'm not impressed!

by PiggyGirl | Jun 6, 2008 9:42:35 AM

It's still ugly.

by Scott | Jun 6, 2008 1:00:22 PM

July 13th Release Date CONFIRMED

From me to Sprint:

"When will I be able to get the Treo 800w on Sprint; that's when I'll switch [to Sprint]"

Sprint's Response:

"Thank you for the reply.

This handset is scheduled to be launched on July 13, 2008. I would seek your patience in this regard.

If you have any further concern, please write back to us. I will surely assist you in the best possible manner.

Thank you again for contacting Sprint. We appreciate your business."

by R. Miller | Jun 13, 2008 1:35:24 PM

The other blog post referred to a smartphone war between Apple and Palm. If that's the case, then Palm is the 1991 Iraqi Army on the highway of death.

The 800w is what I've been waiting for ever since I bought the 650p. The company which developed the smart phone wasn't as smart as its phone. They basically ceded the market lead to the cult of personality at Apple. Not only did the iPhone appeal to the smug limousine liberals who miss no opportunity to flash their expensive toys in public, they beat Palm to the punch with all the features which make the phone a truly 21st century device.

Their partner in crime, Sprint, did not help which is why both are at the bottom of the heap.

I have remained a loyal (yet disgruntled) Palm and Sprint user for many years. I nearly went to war with Palm over their defective and fraudulently advertised Zire 72. I nearly defected from Sprint after years of bad customer service.

Now, I might finally achieve some satisfaction from the 800w. My only lingering worry is that I'll have to sign a new 2-year contract with Sprint that is very much worse and more expensive than my current plan. I currently pay only $5 a month for unlimited internet. If I have to pay more with a new contract, I'm going to wait to get an unlocked 800w with AT&T.

by K Renn | Jun 16, 2008 9:00:14 PM

I really would love to see a 800p. Palm needs to wake up. In todays market you can't be playing catch up and if I move to 800w and dump the money it will be hard to bring me back to a Palm device.