Treo 650 & 600: Side-by-Side Comparison

Updated (Nov. 06): Please note that this comparison dates back to 2004.  Here is the link to the newest Treo Comparison Chart for the Palm OS Treo 680, 700p, 650 & Windows Mobile Treo 750, 700wx and 700w.

1. New conical/cylindrical shaped antenna (shame really, I kind of liked the old one...)
2. Power button is gone [UPDATE] NOT... It's now with the (red) call end button... (well spotted Paris)
3. New speaker shape
4. Same screen size but improved resolution from 160x160 to 320x320
5. Dedicated call answer and disconnect buttons
6. Overall keyboard shape change as well as slightly larger keys (+10%?) and also changed key shapes (from egg to oval... sadly...)

7. New stylus shape
8. Improved camera now 1.3 megapixels
9. Speakerphone shape change
10. Now with removeable Treo battery!
11. 'Reset' button is nowhere to be found...

12. Slightly larger IR port (better or just different shape?)
13. Power/Network button is gone [UPDATE] NOT... It's now with the (red) call end button... (well spotted Paris)

14. New data port (but will it be faster...)
15. Dedicated front microphone (on 650)

16. Screen on Treo 650 is finally centered (also notice screen quality improvement)
17. Absolutely incredible key backlighting (the ones on the Treo 600 are on but you can not even see it in this picture).  I wonder what the keys are made of that they can carry the backlight this way.

This side by side comparison is probably most useful for those people who already own a Treo 600.  For those of you that don't and who would like to learn more about the amazing phone, business and entertainment capabilities of the Treo line I strongly recommend that you read one of our most popular earlier posts.

For those of you who would like more background information on the Treo 650 and who had not read the original post of the release of the Treo 650 pictures you will find this here.

[Original Treo 650 images from WeeBitObsessed via TreoCentral Forum]

Posted by Andrew on August 28, 2004 at 08:22 AM

Treo 650 Preview

Comments

by Vaibhav | Sep 20, 2004 4:18:16 AM

No, that is not a flash, just a mirror to take self-portraits(like the SE T610)

by Chas | Sep 22, 2004 8:00:05 AM

The 'data port' on the 650 looks just like the connector on my SonyEricsson T650 'phone; does that tell anyone anything? Another merging of companies on the way? Sony have stopped flogging Clie's in Europe...

by david p | Sep 22, 2004 5:17:23 PM

So, what's the word on WiFi and BlueTooth for the T650?

Any Updates???

by m | Sep 28, 2004 1:24:05 AM

I was just looking at buying my first Treo, mostly to have my PDA and cell phone in one unit. Does the 600 have voice activation? (can't find that listed anywhere).Since the 650 will be coming out by Oct.(?), should I wait for better deals on the 600?

by shfawaz | Oct 2, 2004 6:12:01 PM

Pardon me for saying, but isn't removing the battery itself pretty much like doing a soft reset??

by Ghosty | Oct 3, 2004 5:23:22 PM

Hey folks,
My contract with VZN just ended and I picked up a treo 600 for about 380 whichy includes a 100 dollar "every 2" discount. I know this is right about the end of the cycle for the 600, so the question is:

Should I wait until the 650 comes out to purchase a treo?

I have 2 weeks to try the 600 out, and so far I love it for the most part. Higher res screen would be nice though....
help me please!
thanks in advance

by Perry Holden | Oct 4, 2004 11:04:47 AM

Ghostly: $280 net for a Treo 600 sounds like a great deal. The Treo 650 will probably be $550 minus your 100 discount. So $280 vs $450. What you will get for the extra $170 is: a 1.3 megapixel camera vs. 0.3, twice the screen resolution, same memory?, better back lit keys and usability fine tuning.

The screen improvement was necessary in my eyes, the bright back lit keys are great. Will you use the camera? Cheers.

by Ghosty | Oct 4, 2004 11:32:31 AM

Perry,
actually, the total i paid was $380,which has the discount factored in. (So original 480 -100). Does this change your recommendation? I'm happy, but I hate the thought of buying a product that will be outdated so soon. also my guess is that this treo will drop in price once 650 rolls onto shelves, although its still uknown if Verizon will carry the 650 as soon as others do.

Camera is a neat feature, and it would be a novelty.

Thoughts?

by Perry Holden | Oct 4, 2004 11:52:06 AM

Ghostly: My choice would be to wait. My guess is that most carriers should be able to offer the 650 right away. (And if not -- why not?, I think carriers with delayed distribution would be peeved.)

An extra $70 to $100 for 4x the screen pixels (160*160=25,600 320*320=102,400), twice the processor, better back lighting, 1.3 megapixel camera with video . . . . .

by YUSF | Oct 8, 2004 4:24:18 PM

is palm planning on keeping a rep or follow footsteps.
as long as i get my moneys worth...
the motorola V1000 blew me off (as a social phone)
treo works miracles for work and bus.
for me having both is idealistic.
how long will it take any phone company to perfect its product cuz comparing to other industries its talking a while and frustration is on its way.
i really hope to get a made to order phone (assemled pc?) how efficently is palm or any other company for that matter implementing specialisation? its pretty obvious how they porposly dely options and new technology just to suck as much as possible "ethics or opertunity cost?" have a mind of ur own and u'll know where u stand. the hard work is much appreciated and will never be forgoten. to whome it may concern: why not be transparent and cut some slack i mean these guys are really trying to keep there pants on.:)

by Ghosty | Oct 12, 2004 2:04:26 PM

Ok, so I've returned my treo600 after about a week of trying it out. I'm going to wait for the 650 to come out to make a permanent purchase. I hope VZW carries the phone sometime soon....

also, how do you guys feel about sprint/att tmobile networks? VZW is expensive if you get data and voice plans (~$100). I live in NYC and travel occasionally..... any recommendations?

by Mollenar | Oct 12, 2004 11:13:43 PM

The 650's screen res and new keyboard is a terrific improvement over the 600. That alone makes it worth the extra cost. Does anyone know if I can get Graffiti loaded into the 650?

by david p | Oct 21, 2004 2:05:59 PM

So, does anyone know the projected release date of the 650????????????

I spoke with a Sprint agent and they told me that the 650 would be generally available sometime in January of 2005. However, the agent also indicated that I would most likely have to wait until Feburary 2005 to make the purchase.

by Sheila Mee | Nov 1, 2004 5:36:09 AM

I really enjoy being at this informal place. Wish you luck and success for the future. Surely see you again sometime.

by eric f | Nov 8, 2004 8:03:35 PM

never owned the treo 600, but heard it would only play it's MP3 out the speaker, not the head phone connection. Does the 650 address this. Walking around holding a phone to my head so I can hear my 1GB of MP3s doesn't sound like progress.

by Kay | Nov 21, 2004 3:57:32 AM

Left my Treo 600 on the office counter and in a flash it was gone. I hope the 650 will be on sale before XMAS because I cannot wait much longer to own this object of desire.

by Tery Thompson | Nov 30, 2004 11:02:10 AM

The 650 needs to have a built in flash. Higher res will be nice as well as a better camera and better lighted keyboard.
Nice feature for my 600 is while listening to MP3's I can turn off the screen so it doesn't eat up the battery. Also, I can record 1 minute of any phone call or whatever with the built in recorder. I suppose I can record part of a song and use it for my phone ring. I think I'll try it.
More info...The regular headset doesn't allow me to listen to my MP3's but my Motorolla headset does. It must have a slightly longer plug or something. Anyone have info on this besides myself.

by Sylvain | Dec 3, 2004 6:25:48 PM

Does anybody know if there is a software on the Treo600 or 650 that allow to save the Call log as appointments in the Calendar ?

by Kitty Sue | Jan 4, 2005 5:33:53 AM

After a long search, I finally found your site. My granny used to say, that you must never give up to reach a certain aim.
So keep on going like I did it recently.

by YUSF | Feb 6, 2005 7:47:55 AM

does anyone remember if there were any bugs in the treo 600 when it launched for the first time and if that can happen again with the 650. i know of people who have been through this with other phones and want to wait for the second batch.

by rico | Feb 12, 2005 8:28:39 PM

last week orange spots appeared on my treo600 screen.i dont remember dropping the phone or damaging the screen.can i replace the screen on the treo600?any of you folks have the same problem as do?

by TreoUser | Apr 20, 2005 2:38:45 PM

The orange spots are from dead pixels on the LCD, take it to your sprint store (if it is under warrenty or insurance) and they'll get you a new one in 3-5 days (currently waiting on mine). I got my T600 for 200$, the mp3 players do work with headphones (stereo with adapter, not the handsfree headset). I have pocket tunes with phone technician, gotta have mp3 ringtones and it allows you to turn off the screen during calls (along with many other features). The camera is still fairly useless as a digital camera (there's alot of distortion at 1.3mp). I'd like to see the next Treo feature a sliding lcd like the PPC660.

by Albert Thompson | Apr 27, 2005 2:37:22 AM

VZW dumped my Kyocera 7135 which I really liked. Am now faced w the 600 vs 650 debate. Thanks for the comments. I did not see a response to the Graffiti question. I find the lack of this feature to be a real inconvenience on the 600. Can it be done with the 650?

by Chevy | Apr 27, 2005 11:07:35 PM

is there any websites i can purchase sprint treo 650 under $500 without getting new service.

by Anton Sugiono | Jun 25, 2005 10:51:31 AM

Hi,

I want to know how to save and print my sms (inbox and sent) in the treo 650. I want to print all the sms at once, not one by one. Your help is appreciated.

Thanks