Four New Exclusive Pictures of the Treo 650!!!

Treonauts are happy to bring you for the third time running the latest (exclusive this time) pictures of the Treo 650.

Ain't she a beauty glowing like this in the dark!!!  To those who have held one in their hands it is apparently "amazing!!!"...  I see absolutely no reason to doubt them...

Here's definite indication that MS Exchange ActiveSync will be as easy to set up on the Treo 650 as any other email account and palmOne's recent announcement of its licensing agreement with Microsoft had already indicated that it would support "future Treos".

There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that I will upgrade to the Treo 650 as soon as it is released...  Where I was still a little skeptical a few weeks ago, the feedback that I've received strongly indicates that we have another winner coming!!!

Perhaps my expectations had grown a little too high following posts such as Treo Zen and Treo 700 but looking at it pragmatically there are really only two issues that have given me and other Treonauts pause for thought.  The first is rather minor: I wish they had gotten rid of the antenna.  The second is disappointing and somewhat annoying: where's my WiFi!?  (We still don't know if a WiFi card will be supported but we know that it won't be built-in).

Now, leaving these two issues aside, let's look at the positive (and there's plenty).  On the T650 we'll have a ton of completely NEW stuff:

• a new high-res screen with 4 times the resolution of the T600
  • a completely redesigned keyboard (which is amazing)
  • Dedicated call answer/end buttons
  • Bluetooth (nothing to go over the moon about but nonetheless a practical feature - particularly when it comes to wireless hotsync's)
  • Non-volatile memory! (Remember the days when a dead battery meant total data loss?  No more.)
  • More speed with a 312MHz processor (but perhaps as high as 416MHz...)
  • Double the memory (still to be confirmed)
  • A removeable battery (need more juice on the go? Now carry a spare.)
  • Better browser
  • Better email
  • A much better 1.3 megapixel camera + video recording
  • Tons of bundled applications (Services, MP3, games, movies (perhaps), +++)

So yes, I do have very high expectations but from what I've seen so far I really believe that the people over at palmOne have done an excellent job with the Treo 650 and I can't wait to get my hands on one!!! Aaarrrghhhh...

The difference between the screen resolution of the Treo 600 (right) and Treo 650 is apparently like night and day... and this can already be seen clearly from this picture (just go to any store selling Palm devices and put a high-res screen next to your Treo to notice the difference...).

From left to right:
- the first Treo 650 picture released on 25 August
- the second Treo 650 picture released on 29 Sept
- the third set of Treo 650 pictures released today!

The difference between the second and the first was the color coding for the numbers on the keyboard while the difference between the second and the third is the color of the antenna (black vs. grey) and the keys are colored black/blue instead of black only.

There's also been some debate of late as to whether the Treo 650 would indeed have a 1.3 megapixel camera and I can confirm that it does + also video recording.  On the other hand I don't yet know whether it will support EDGE as some of you have asked.

You can find our dedicated Treo 650 Preview page here which is regularly updated with the latest news and sightings.

Posted by Andrew on October 11, 2004 at 12:54 PM

Treo 650 Preview

Comments

by Clay Edwards | Oct 11, 2004 3:15:01 PM

Does it have voice dialing? Via bluetooth headset? wifi card compatible?

by Charlie Uniman | Oct 11, 2004 3:50:03 PM

What sets the 650's keyboard apart from the one that's on the 600?

Charlie

by Stevie | Oct 11, 2004 11:03:49 PM

Is it GSM and / or CDMA? I know Verizon has a current CDMA version which is only dual band. I hope I don't have to switch carriers... "can you hear me now?"

by Yohe | Oct 11, 2004 11:33:37 PM

Charlie.. the keyboard is only different to people who aren't blind... It will be the same for you, Charlie.

by Lex Luthor | Oct 11, 2004 11:56:15 PM

Any idea if the Treo 650 synch with Macs via Bluetooth (aka iSync)? Wi-Fi would have been too cool.

by yhmc | Oct 12, 2004 12:35:25 AM

You want to get rid of the antenna and have WiFi to fill the gap ?
Here's a model you can consider - BENQ P50.
Check in google and you'll find the spec.
thanks.

by Sam | Oct 12, 2004 2:01:51 AM

OK, I want to start a company where I can release obselete technology, based on a several year old operating system, have features that were OLD with the Pocket PC Phone Edition or Sony Ericsson P900 18 months ago, and get the entire world excited about it and then make money on the product hand over fist. I have a wacky idea, Palm... release the same phone with new Colbalt OS (now almost a year old), with WiFi built in like all the other smart phones, add either EDVO, UTMS or at least EDGE fast data transfer (or at least have the unit upgradable to those networks as they become available as they are in San Diego). Oh yea, take about $300 off the price. Sorry, I'll stick with my T-Mobile HP iPaq for now. In about 10 years, Palm may release a device with those features (and overcharge for them).

by Bryan T. | Oct 12, 2004 10:16:37 AM

I can handle the new specs on the phone. I might even consider dropping $600 or whatever crazy price they'll put on it. However, the accessories issue completely changes that. I'm not going to spend another $200 on accessories, when THE ONES I HAVE SHOULD FREAKING WORK.

I rarely (read, never) take a philosophical or principled position on an electronics purchase, but I'll be damned if I'm going to upgrade to the 650. palmOne needs to have some respect for their users.

by Fred | Oct 12, 2004 10:49:00 AM

You talk about buying one of these as soon as it's available, and I want to do the same, but is it a good idea? Didn't the first 600's that were released have lots and lots of bugs?
Just wondering if I should wait . . .

by antmelnat | Oct 12, 2004 12:37:40 PM

Wanderman: Any chance that this 650 is a Verizon branded one? It looks like the space where the brand would be was 'photoshopped' out and could be large enough to be the Verizon logo (big V above Verizon). I don't know of any other carrier's logo being that large (except Orange). Maybe wishful thinking, but I have a feeling we will see a Verizon 650 sooner rather than later and that it might have been Verizon that got treocentral to remove their original story (they had the most to lose due to just releasing the 600).

by John | Oct 13, 2004 12:53:11 PM

Anyone know if Omnivision (OVTI) makes the 1.3 chip ?

by Scott Evans | Oct 23, 2004 11:49:27 PM

Couldn't agree more about the accessories thing. I've spend hundreds on Treo 600 accessories, I'm not about to spend that again on 650 accessories. This aspect of the 650 really angered/disappointed me.

by Mike Harris | Jan 27, 2005 10:02:55 PM

Thanks for the PICS, but you guys REALLY need to update your text review of the 650 ........

Double the memory (still to be confirmed) --- NOT!
A much better 1.3 megapixel camera + video recording --- NOT!

This was known as a fact almost 4 months ago.

by Uriel | Jan 28, 2005 5:41:42 AM

Come on are you kidding me. Read the date the article was written. Everyone thought that on October 11th 2004.

by Nora | May 30, 2005 11:48:53 AM

I cannot get the TREO 650 to connect to laptop PDAnet via bluetooth and more frustrating, cannot get the Treo 650 blutooth to connect with 2005 Lexus 330.

Any thoughts????

by Mackie | Jun 20, 2005 12:35:09 AM

hey. does anyone know where i can purchase an unlock GSM Treo 650 for below $500?

by Barry B. Brackin | Jul 2, 2005 2:32:12 PM

What is the resolution of the camera for the Treo 650? Some articles rave about the 1.2 Mega Pixle,and I thought it was only .3 meg. Which is it. Can you buy a SD camera that is better than the included camera that also has flash?

by shawn | Jul 7, 2005 2:45:08 AM

I will unlock your treo 650
under 100 US dollar. i am charging 30 USD to any one in US and canada

by shawn | Jul 13, 2005 8:35:07 AM

we are unlocking treo 650 for 30 USD remotely. we do not required you treo 650 mailed to us. you can do it your self in your own home. visit cellularclinic.com Tre0 600 unlocking is free.

by shannonb | Sep 19, 2005 2:10:20 PM

Is there a fix for the very low volume on the ear piece on the phone.
How about updated bluetooth drivers to work with more headsets and.. Seems to take a long time for the headset to connect??
Any ones phone rebooting while using the
exchange server sync??

by drew welch | May 23, 2006 12:02:21 PM

Is there anything special to do so my treo 650 can use the bluetooth connection in my lexus gx470