Cingular Treo 650

This is the first 'branded' Cingular Treo 650 GSM image to emerge - a picture which was recently included in a palmOne email newsletter.

Although rumours continue to fly in, there is still no consensus as to when Cingular will finally launch it.  My own guess is that we'll get our wish within the next two weeks...

Also, judging by the fact that the single most repeated question at palmOne's booth at the recent Consumer Electronics Show was "When is the (%$?@#!) Treo 650 GSM coming out?", it is clear that the expectation levels are extremely high (I feel my own blood pressure rising again...).

Please Cingular, stop the pain and release it now...

[Thanks to TreoStudent06 via TreoCentral Forum.]

Treonauts have waited long enough for their 650 GSM... Love Treonauts? Please help us by visiting our sponsors.

Posted by Andrew on January 14, 2005 at 06:38 AM

Treo 650

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Cingular Treo 650:

» Cold Heat Soldering Iron Reviewed from Gizmodo
Reading Bill Macrone at PC Magazine is the win to John Dvorak's wang. Instead of hearing Dvorak bang out another column based on how his eggs and baby flesh are sitting that morning, Machrone tells us about how he's been... [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 14, 2005 8:39:31 AM

Comments

by Kalel | Jan 14, 2005 8:45:13 AM

Please provide link to the PalmOne newsletter where you found this picture. Thanks!

by jadewest | Jan 14, 2005 9:23:56 AM

Do all cells phones with mini keyboards use the qwerty layout?
If so, why? It seems that for stylus-typing, an alphabetical layout would be faster, especially for those who never had proper instruction on a typewriter (remember those?) or regular keyboard.

by Ron Severdia | Jan 14, 2005 10:29:13 AM

My whole life has been put on hold while waiting for this damn phone to ccome out! Maybe they know they demand is going to be huge so they've been ramping up production. Um...er.. OK.

by TreoStudent06 | Jan 14, 2005 10:43:51 AM

I don't think there is a link for the newsletter being that it is a email webinar invite for those in the healthcare industry. I think others who signed up on palmone's website to recieve information on healthcare/medical applications would get this email (I am not 100% sure).

But I can forward the email to you "Kalel", if you'd like.

by JTroll | Jan 14, 2005 11:34:10 AM

I think that the biggest thing being overlooked with the Cingular-branded GSM Treo 650 is that Cingular has absolutely obscene data rates. Frankly, I don't care if their EDGE network is slightly faster than Sprint's; at Sprint, they charge $15 for unlimited data access. At Cingular, they charge $40. That bears repeating: forty dollars. That's $25 more per month, and that's on TOP of whatever you're paying for your regular phone service. How on earth can Cingular justify this? It's absolutely beyond me. Even T-Mobile, the other GSM carrier, only charges $15 a month for unlimited data access. It's enough to make me want to wait for T-Mobile to get the phone and leave those idiots at Cingular.

by dodgerfan | Jan 14, 2005 12:20:49 PM

"...stop the pain and release it now" is misplaced eagerness given the myriad issues that SprintPCS Treo 650 owners, such as myself, endure on a weekly, if not daily, basis because the product was rushed to market without thorough and essential quality assurance review. I have apparently been unwittingly conscripted as one of PalmOne's beta testers as all the issues surrounding its memory management upgrade, Bluetooth integration, and VersaMail product get identified and perhaps reported back to the manufacturer, the carrier, or the various support forums that have becomed saturated with the anecdotal woes and plaintiff cries for help (since very little is coming from P1 and Sprint).

If Cingular takes an extra month to get a handle on these and other known support pitfalls, they will be doing themselves, and prospective buyers, a HUGE favor.

by Stace Johnson | Jan 14, 2005 2:34:12 PM

Has anyone heard whether Verizon has plans to release a version of the 650? The president of my company is interested in getting one, but wants to remain on Verizon.

by Permanent4 | Jan 14, 2005 6:15:13 PM

JTroll: What are you talking about? Cingular offers unlimited data with its MEdiaWorks package for $19.95/mo. It's Verizon that charges $45/mo. for unlimited data.

Stace: The Verizon Treo 600 came out around June of last year, so tell your boss not to expect a Verizon Treo 650 until this summer at the earliest.

by Seth | Jan 15, 2005 4:02:00 PM

Just spoke to a Cingular rep. He said they received a memo that the 650 starts shipping to stores on the 15th... that's today!

Also, the unlimited data access for a PDA (treo or blackberry) is $79.95/month. The MEdiaWorks package is for WAP-enabled phones only.

Has anyone heard anything about the 650 for T-Mobile or do I have to switch?? The only thing I have seen is that T-Mobile might skip the 650 for the next gen 700/800 (heard it referred to both ways). Can anyone shed any light on this????

Thanks....

by bob | Jan 16, 2005 1:44:33 AM

re: cingular and treo 650 release date...I was at a high-tech conference last week that palmone was a minor sponsor in, and their demo ped was manned by a sales guy who claimed to be best friends with the palmone treo 650 tech support lead. He said that the sprint 650s are struggling in the field because of a memory management problem...specifically, this unit dumps its data to flash memory if the battery is about to go completely dead, but the mechanism and algorithm they used for this leads to a massive overuse of memory and slow performance. He wasn't sure, but thought that this is why cingular is waiting...sprint is going to do a soft upgrade in the field for their phones, but cingular is waiting to ship good units in the first place. For whatever its worth...

by Scott | Jan 16, 2005 9:58:42 PM

Does anyone know if the new 650 can be used to listen to streaming audio--BBC World Service for example. Is there additional software to purchase that will do this?

by kartik | Jan 17, 2005 6:20:54 AM

dear kartik sir
you said this was not available

regards
anil bader

by eric | Jan 18, 2005 4:09:09 AM

Actually the unlimited data for the palm/b;aclberry devices are $49. The 79 dollars is for a wireless modem for a notebook computer.

by treosniffer | Jan 26, 2005 4:28:21 PM

Hey all found the 650 at a Cingular store today (1/26)in a mall near wash DC...703-528-6994. 519$ with a line, 50$ cheaper with the coupon; but also 680$ for just the phone all by itself. Too forgin rich for my blood..maybe i'll go back to sprint.

by Michael Schlotthauer | Jan 27, 2005 12:36:51 PM

I'm tired of waiting. I'm also tired of seeing companies like Sprint beating Cingular to the punch. I'm a gadget man with some money to play with things like this. I think there are alot of us out there. It's apparent the smaller companies like Sprint have the more interesting and cool phones, like the PC phone for example. The best thing Cingular has come up with is the razor? A glorified phone that's thin? Cingular needs to step up to the plate if they expect for the cutting edge consumer, to stay interested and with their products and service. At this point...I'm sick and tired of waiting for a product that will be close to being a boat anchor by the time it's released. I noticed in this forum there is alot of negativity toward Cingular. I find it justified. Get with the program Cingular.

by Rogerio Bonfim - From Brasil | Feb 2, 2005 10:38:22 AM

Hi,

Do you know when Paln One will sell Treo 650 GSM to be use with any operator?

by Andrew | Feb 2, 2005 10:45:40 AM

Rogerio,

The unlocked Treo 650 GSM which you can use with any (GSM) operator was released today by palmOne.

Read: http://blog.treonauts.com/2005/02/treo_650_gsm_un.html

by Harleybear | Mar 2, 2005 7:00:38 AM

OK - Any comments on which dataplan is best on the Cingular network. Will the Media plan get me my mail for $24.95 unlimited?

by Stu Rubin | Mar 21, 2005 11:24:56 AM

Does anyone know whenif if T-mobile will be delivering the 650?

by Marilyn | Jun 2, 2005 2:23:13 PM

Just got mine yesterday and already have questions that Cingular can't answer and need to find out how to get support for the TREO 650. My VERSA MAIL keeps shutting down my Palm cold every time I try to view the mail.
Any one know why that happens?

Also...latest on pricing at Cingular is this...$39.99 give you unlimited INTERNET usage but not multimedia messaging (sending photos, etc.)...you have to ADD on ANOTHER $19.99 to get that unlimited. So it's even worse than you thought...the entire add-on package is like $60, but if you are a high user like I am, that's okay because it's totally unlimited for everything.

Any help on the VERSA MAIL problem or where to go to get help is greatly appreciated.