Cingular Treo 650: On Arrival

I had been wondering for days about what the first 'physical' impression of Cingular's Treo 650 looked like...

The pictures are taken with a phone so the quality isn't great but now at least you'll know what to expect when that Fedex guy comes knocking on your door sometime towards the end of next week

Note that this Treo does not have the Cingular logo and I therefore assume that it is a 'Blue' (AT&T) model.  I guess that on the one hand Cingular does not want to plaster its logo in front of all the AT&T Wireless customers that it acquired (too shocking perhaps...) while on the other it certainly will do nothing to fund additional AT&T Wireless marketing.  (Believe it or not, as part of the acquisition deal the AT&T Wireless brand will actually revert back to AT&T in a little while...)

[Thanks a lot Milo]

Treonauts currently have the urge to open boxes...

Posted by Andrew on January 28, 2005 at 04:28 PM

Treo 650

Comments

by Marcus Reese | Jan 28, 2005 5:00:48 PM

All right I have been sitting on the sidelines for a while on the whole TREO GOODNESS even though I recongize how good it really is. I have made up my mind to buy my first Treo *(And we have another Treo convert) with the 650 model.

First where are you guys ordering the 650 from? I have heard pricing and I am willing to pay for it $450 or so. I currently have a Sony Ericsson T616, I am damn happy with it and its functionality. Bluetooth headset and can connect to my 17" Powerbook. But as I said I recongize and bow down to the greatness that is TREO. Sailing Clicker is installed on my computer and works on my current phone.

My Question oh wise Treonauts how can I migrate with the simplest of ease. I understand that through bluetooth I should be able to sync all of the same stuff and more just wanted to seek those that are more familar then me.

If someone can point me to the best Carrying Case & Where to order I shall start my path to becoming quite a dedicated treonaut.

by Marcus Reese | Jan 28, 2005 5:04:32 PM

As a P.S. note I am using cingular's service as of right now. I hate the cingular website and its attempts to help by only allowing access to your zip code. I cant wait to get my paws on one of these units and fry my brain after it sync's all of my contacts, pictures & other info.

by Roman | Jan 28, 2005 5:05:41 PM

I just ordered my Treo 650 from Cingular! Business hehe.

Roman

by CNB | Jan 29, 2005 1:43:52 AM

I have been waiting and waiting like everyone else for the Cingular Treo 650 since my wife uses the AT&T plan, but I am wondering if I should have just gone with Sprint. It seems that I can not take advantage of her AT&T plan because of the Cingular purchase of ATTWS. Other than GSM, has anyone done the analysis of the advantages and disadvantages (cost and function) between Sprint's and Cingular's 650s?

by Kurt | Jan 29, 2005 12:51:37 PM

I went with Sprint 'cuz Cingular service stinks here in Boston area. From what I understand, Cingular will be charging about 40 bucks a month for unlimited internet services on top of your regular minutes, while I pay 15 with Sprint. I just signed up last week with the 2 phones-800 minutes for 70 bucks, plus additional 20 for unlimited internet/email and roaming on Verizon's network. I have had zero dropped calls, and can once again use a cell phone in my home. (Which CIngular said had marginal service coverage because I live in a fringe area - Did I mention I can see the Boston SKYLINE from my window? Since when is Boston fringe???)

by Leigh | Jan 30, 2005 2:36:41 PM

Does anyone know if the Cingular Treo 650 is the quad band GSM, i.e it's usable on other U.S. networks (i.e T-mobile) and other different frequency international GSM networks such as the U.K and Australia? The disabling of DUN makes me very wary that the carriers will try to prevent users from using the phone on other networks.

I'm still on a Treo 180 (which has been a heap of crap - the flip lid broke long ago, there are no spare parts, you're supposed to buy a new phone, Handspring/Palm did nothing to update the O.S. despite numerous continuing crashes with the phone operation) but it is very near the end of it's physical life.

I'm very wary of getting another Treo considering the poor quality of the 180 yet I use many different PalmOS apps, so it seems I'm locked in or have to return to a two device approach (yuck). I understand the 600 was substantially better than the 180, but the big concern is the NVFS system of the 650 which is apparently much less memory efficient, blowing out your memory usage by 33% more while only adding another 8Mb onto the 180's 16Mb.

So for people who possess the GSM model, can you please address some of my questions? Does anyone know if PalmOne will offer the 650 direct from their website?

by Payton Chung | Jan 30, 2005 8:14:06 PM

Yes, according to the PalmOne site, the GSM/GPRS/EDGE model will be quad band. No word yet on when an unlocked version will be available directly from PalmOne; best guesses here have put it at one month after Cingular begins selling it.

The GSM version also has a better battery, apparently, and Cingular's EDGE based data service (now in major markets) is faster than Sprint's.
- pc

by Johnnie | Jan 31, 2005 7:18:56 PM

I saw an unlocked GSM Treo 650 on ebay, and there's no cellphone plan needed.
Is that true?
I thought there's still no unlocked version.

by Mathew | Apr 5, 2005 12:57:29 PM

I have the treo 650 and dropped the phone the back came off, where do i get that?