TCPMP | OMG!!! Now FULL Video on our Treo

Update Nov 06 - The Core Pocket Media Player (TCPMP) has now been further upgraded in a full commercial version called CorePlayer and available for both PalmOS and Windows Mobile Treo Smartphones.

There's a new application that is sure to rock a boat or two in the Treo community and it is very good news indeed for all Treonauts who like me may have been waiting to take their video-on-the go experience to the next level...

I've just finished evaluating a new open source (completely free) media player called The Core Pocket Media Player (TCPMP) and I can tell you that although it hasn't even come out of alpha testing yet that this is one monster of a media player - particularly when it comes to video.  It has been as close to 'video Nirvana' on my Treo 650 as I believe I'm likely to get.

TCPMP supports all the usual video formats such as .AVI (DIVX/XVID) and .MPG but additionally and uniquely also offers playback for .OGM (OGG media video) and .MKV (Matroska) - basically it can play any video file that you can see fit to throw at it.  Moreover, it can also play music in various formats although the interface experience is a very basic one and at any rate you're unlikely to use it as your main or even secondary music player.  The only thing currently lacking is AC3 audio support.  The various existing supported codecs include:

Audio codecs:

• Mpeg 1 LayerIII (mp3)
  • Ogg Vorbis
  • Musepack
  • Adpcm, uLaw

Video codec:

• DivX
  • XviD
  • Mpeg4-SP (plus B-frame support)
  • Mpeg1
  • M-JPEG

However all of this is not by a wide margin the most important bit of news about TCPMP.  The best part is that our days of having to re-encode each of our video files for playback on a 320x320 or other small handheld screen size are gone.  That's right, you have to do exactly zero, nada, niente to playback any video currently on your hard drive and view it on your Treo.  Just copy the file to your SD card and you can start watching it.

As I mentioned previously, TCPMP's interface is nothing particularly pretty to look at but to be honest with this video performance it could not have one at all and I wouldn't care less - just let me enjoy the fantastic playback.  The main screen offers you the standard backward/play/forward buttons, a full screen button to access the audio, video and general preferences.  Nothing more is needed.

I tested TCPMP with a couple of 700MB video files encoded at a high bitrate and 576x304 resolution and another at 624x336.  Both large screenshots in this post are full size 320x320 ones of these clips on my Treo and as you'll be able to appreciate the quality is absolutely stunning.

I am ecstatic to report that I had absolutely no problem loading these files, watching them and fast forwarding through them in the highest quality that you can imagine on our small Treo screen with full lip sync and no video image stuttering whatsoever.  If this is not a milestone in Treo video playback then I don't know what is.

I've spent the better part of my day demoing this to anyone within eyesight to make sure that I haven't been dreaming the whole thing up.  I admit that I'm still a little overwhelmed.  TCPMP is absolutely a_m_a_z_i_n_g and following my post yesterday I guess that now our Treo can also be considered among the best portable video players that money can buy.

The Core Pocket Media Player v0.63 (TCPMP)

[Thanks Ben]

Treonauts love monster applications...

Posted by Andrew on April 15, 2005 at 05:51 PM

Treo Software | Video

Comments

by cpr_carpenter | Apr 4, 2006 12:05:45 AM

ok, i used AutoGK to convert my video to smaller avi (divx codec) format, but I get no sound when playing on tcpmp. I loaded most of the plugins, including camera. the avi file plays on windows media player on desktop fine. Do I have to use headset? I would have thought it plays thru speaker or regular phone earpiece. I'm more that halfway there!

by yao | May 6, 2006 11:32:06 PM

Crystal Video To Audio Converter

It copies the audio digitally-not through the soundcard-which enables you to make perfect copies of the originals. you can play your video file withCrystal Video to Audio Converter,also, you can just cut part of your video file and then convert this part to audio file. It's fast, easy to use while powerful.

by BIG | May 30, 2006 3:39:19 PM

TCPMP is the greatest! I followed one of the simple tutorials out there for using AutoGK and I am watching The Matrix with clear stereo sound through my headphones as we speak! The file size is a nice 450mb and preserves the widescreen format. Yes, it's a little small but you get used to it with good sound. The picture is brilliant and smooth! I can load up 3 of my own full movies on a 2gb card and enjoy my business trips watching the movie I choose. As a bonus, a person on the train this morning couldn't believe it and kept asking me questions about my treo.

by samar roy | May 31, 2006 8:14:42 AM

treo and TCPMP rule. I have been trying many days to get some applications to work. TCPMP is the only one that got all my different movie formats to work all the way...

by madou | Jun 25, 2006 8:34:18 AM

does tcpmp run on treo 700
if not what video format and software do i have to use to watch video on my treo 700

by nathan | Jul 11, 2006 10:35:52 PM

yes, it works great on 700p

by tuan | Jul 26, 2006 4:03:21 PM

I'm having problems running it on my 700p. I took a video in avi format with my Casio Camera, and tried playing it using the latest version, .72RC1. It runs, but unfortunately, there's a lot of skipping and stuttering. Anyone else experience that? Any suggestions on how to fix that?

by Jkrazy | Jul 31, 2006 11:07:30 PM

I downloaded the TCMP program and it works great! The Pocket DVD program I bougt takes a little while to rip a dvd but you can set the PC to be turned off when it is done. I usually get 3-2 hr movies on a 2GB SD and the quality is pretty decent. Occasionally during a big action scence you may get a littel bit of pixels but nothing to be too upset with.

by Jkrazy | Jul 31, 2006 11:10:57 PM

By the way even though this is a discussion based on the video aspect of the Treo can anyone direct in how to fix a camera problem I am having with my 650? It seems when I try to take a picture and there is too much light on the object (like at a concert last night) the surrounding photo is nice and clear but the person or object under the light looks like a white blur... are there any light filtering programs I can download or any preferences in the Treo 650 I can change to eliminate this problem? A guy in front of me had a Treo and his screen did not seem to have this problem?

by Ankur | Aug 1, 2006 8:06:33 PM

by Greg | Aug 8, 2006 11:05:33 PM

Here's the reverse question... how can the videos shot ON a Treo be played on a PC or Mac?

by Andrew | Aug 9, 2006 9:22:31 AM

Greg - The free Quicktime http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/win.html is the best option to view your Treo videos on a PC or Mac.

by Troy | Aug 15, 2006 9:54:04 AM

Holy Cow! I can't tell y'all how cool this is! I used DVD Shrink 3.2 with Auto Gordian Knot and play it on my Treo 650 with this TCPMP! The picture is great, it's in widescreen. Who needs a portable DVD player??

by Mtender | Aug 28, 2006 9:03:44 PM

Not sure why so many people are having problems setting this up. It works perfectly for me. This is how I have been using it.

1. Downloaded Auto Gordan on my desk top
2. Installed TCPMP on my Treo 650
3. Copied DVD at 320x320 using Auto Gordon into video folder on my hard drive
4. Copied into a 1 gig SD card
5. Watched the movies!

Excellent product, great picture.

by ldmkh | Aug 31, 2006 3:52:50 PM

Successfully installed on Treo 650..can anyone tell me if it will open a windows media video clip and if so how to do so? Thanks

by mongozx | Sep 3, 2006 4:44:29 PM

Does anyone have the same problem with my TCPMP? I use "Pocket DVD Wizard" to copy the DVD and transfer it to my Treo 650 via mini SD card.

When I play the movies the video always pauses every 10-15 seconds and the sound doesn't even work?

Is there any way to fix this?

by Danny Huynh | Sep 6, 2006 3:25:53 AM

What is the best video converter to use for movies?

Whats the best file to play, divx or mp4?

by JUAN | Sep 13, 2006 11:53:59 PM

Fairly new to treo, I've downloaded TCMPMP AND AM USEING FAIR USE TO CONVERT MY DVD'S
BUT EVERY TIME I TRY TO MOVE MOVIE TO THE CARD IT TELLS ME IT CANNOT COPY BECAUSE O COPYRIGHT PROTECTION.
CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME OUT AND TELL ME HOW TO MOVE MOVIE TO MY SD CARD

THANK'S

by Sheri | Sep 23, 2006 9:00:06 PM

I had problems using TCPMP to play movies but now I got it to work.

1. I used AutoGK (FREE) to convert the movies.
2. Take SD card out of TREO 650 and insert into a card reader.
3. Copy movie directly onto the CARD.
4. Remove CARD from reader and insert into TREO 650.
5. Play movie just fine using TCMP.

Since I am new to using a TREO I thought I had to use HotSync to store the movie on the CARD (movies never played right).

by Larslake | Nov 3, 2006 9:39:29 AM

rip movie(just the movie) with shrink - divx it 224X160 or 192X144 or any screen size that will compress a 2 hr./ 12 min. movie to 300 MB ( in this case, I use the movie "The Alamo". - watchable and neat - tcpmp is a real first class application.

by Frank | Nov 16, 2006 1:06:03 PM

Just converted a movie using FairUse Wizard. I copied the .omg file on to my 2GB SD Card. When I put it back in my Treo I cant see the file.

Can anyone tell me where I can get a codec so that I can see the .omg file and play it using TCMP on my Treo?

Thanks

by Rob | Nov 21, 2006 12:07:56 PM

Does anyone know if this be used to stream Sirius?

by Jose | Dec 1, 2006 12:37:32 PM

HI, how come after I load one movie on my SD card with no problem, I receive a msg saying that the card is write-protected and for me to change that or insert another disc? Is there a certain way I should format the card? Thanks in advance for your help!

by Ian | Dec 13, 2006 11:43:53 AM

I see that no one has answered Ankur's question in post 85:

>Ok I'm a treo 700p newbie. I downloaded TCPMP and I'm wondering how I can make it my primary video viewer. like -- if I'm going to a streaming video link online -- or streaming audio, how do I make tcpmp open it and not the default program?<

I have the exact same question. I want TCPMP to be the default video viewer for all streaming video and any other video content I find while web browsing on my Treo. I have searched the web for solutions, but so far have come up empty (except for solutions relating only to the Windows Treo). Any experts out there with some suggestions for Palm Treos?
Thanks.

by Jim | Dec 28, 2006 3:01:03 PM

Is there another site that is available to download the video player? I can't seem to find it for my 650. I went to www.coreplayer.com and it is temporarily unavailable. Let me know! I am pumped about getting this!