Motorola H700 & H300: Two Great New BT Headsets

One of the things that I have been most impressed about lately is the fact that the quality of the design and performance of Bluetooth headsets has been steadily improving over the past few months with new releases such as the Jabra JX10, Plantronics Discovery 640, Motorola H700 and Motorola H300.

I recently reviewed both the Jabra and Plantronics headsets with the JX10 quickly making it to the top of my preferred list.  This past week I have now also had the opportunity to test both new Motorola headsets which each have excellent and unique design and functionalities with both the Treo 650 and Treo 700w.

In the image below, you can appreciate the comparative size of all of my preferred BT headsets to the exception of the Plantronics Discovery 640 which would have appeared as the third smallest in this ranking.  The Jabra JX10 is still the most diminutive closely followed by the Motorola H700 shown with its PowerFlip closed on the right.

Motorola H700

After testing the Motorola H700 ($89.95) it quickly became obvious why this model has so quickly become the second bestselling Bluetooth headset for our Treo.

Among others, what sets the H700 apart from all other BT headsets is Motorola’s unique PowerFlip which turns the headset On/Off by simply flipping/folding the speaker lid (see images below).  When closed the H700 resembles a small lightweight pebble and it is probably the only BT headset which I would recommend to fit comfortably in the pocket of your pants.

Another particularly useful feature of the PowerFlip is that it allows you to Answer/End a call by simply flipping the speaker lid open or closed (UPDATE: Only with Treo 700w not Treo 650).  Additionally, you can answer a call on the phone and then transfer it to the BT headset at the push of a button.

Other pros include the fact that the H700 is the fastest charging headset requiring only 1 hour for a full charge and also benefiting from a very good 6 hours of talk time while being ultralight.  On the bad side, I was very disappointed that Motorola did not include a USB cable to charge the H700 while on the go – something which I’m increasingly considering essential for all portable electronics.

Overall, were it not for the fact that the call quality is somewhat lower on the Motorola H700 than on the Jabra JX10 I would be inclined to place this headset as the #1 in my preferred list but for now at least the JX10 will remain firmly on top.  Nonetheless, if your budget cannot strech to the considerably more expensive JX10 then the 40% cheaper H700 will prove a perfect choice.

Motorola H300

The Motorola H300 ($49.95) for its part is a headset specifically designed for those Treonauts who are always on the go and always on the phone and who require the maximum talk time and standby time performance.

On this front the Motorola H300 delivers big time with an amazing 30 hours talk time (5 times more than an average headset) and 30 days standby time (4 to 5 times better).  The H300 can achieve this because instead of a small rechargeable internal battery it is powered by a standard AAA battery which is inserted into the headset via a lid at the back of the unit.

Naturally, the increased talk time does come at the detriment of weight and thus overall wearing comfort when compared to my other preferred headsets – half of which now weigh around the 10 grams mark.

Having said this, there is something incredibly practical about knowing that wherever you go you’ll quickly be able to charge your headset by simply inserting a new AAA battery into it without the need to carry a separate charger or cables.  Overall, at only $49.95 the Motorola H300 is not only a practical and well built Bluetooth headset but also one of the most affordable on the market today.

Treonauts are always looking for the best options

Posted by Andrew on January 11, 2006 at 04:24 PM

Treo Accessories , Treo Bluetooth Headset

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Motorola H700 & H300: Two Great New BT Headsets:

Comments

by Dramali | Dec 17, 2006 2:42:29 AM

I have an unlocked GSM Treo 650 that was purchased directly from Palm. Tonight, I just purchased the H700, and initially I was experiencing the same problems as others with the auto answer on opening the boom. Out of sheer frustration, I re-paired and chose "Car-Kit" instead of "Hands-Free" for the profile. After that, it's working like a charm. I just read an earlier comment here that mentioned this as well, so for those having trouble, that should be the first thing to try.

I also previously had a Treo BT Headset which was experiencing a lot of problems (constant repairing, auto answer). Interestingly enough, I never had problems or issues when used with my car's bluetooth connection. I always wondered why. I now suspect that a lot of problems are probably related to a faulty Hands Free profile on the Treo 650. The car-kit profile seems to be much more stable.

Other than that, I really like the H700, and I agree with the review here. The only con so far is the fact that the range seems quite short compared with the Treo headset.

by mpowell | Dec 18, 2006 4:40:45 PM

I have a tre0 650. I purchased a motorola H300 bt ear piece and it works fine except for one thing. It cuts off after 10 minutes. Not to stand by. completely off. I am aware that the earpiece has an automatic shut off if out of the phones range for 10 minutes but the phone is sitting right on my hip and it still turns off. Do i need to take the earpiece back and try a different brand or is there a way to fix this.

by Mike | Jan 2, 2007 10:36:10 PM

Got a Motorola H300 for Christmas, and it has both the problems that Ron, Weasel650 and MPowell described. It auto-answers regardless of the auto-answer preference on my Treo 650, and it shuts completely off after about 5 minutes. I love the AAA battery - that's why I got it, but with these two problems it's just not very smooth to use, and will probably go back for a refund.

by Brian | Feb 13, 2007 10:27:55 PM

I too have the H500 and it turns off after 10 minutes. I guess nobody has an answer but at least I'm not alone (really small consolation).

by Gary | Mar 3, 2007 2:02:32 PM

I've had a Treo 700p and also bought the H700, and have had the same annoying issues of it pairing up, but instead of it turning on or off, it causes my Treo to reboot intermittently, without warning. I can't seem to find a reason for this, and Sprint is useless. The Treo 700p does not seem to have the option of choosing between "Car Kit" and "Handset".
I've got an older HS820 that works perfectly, but loved the idea of the boom mike on/off feature. Anyone have any suggestions?

by Dave Burton | Mar 28, 2007 11:30:41 AM

Dan Condon wrote: "...It paired correctly but... won't transfer the call to the headset..."

This symptom can be caused by using the "Trusted Devices" button instead of the "Handsfree Setup" button on the Bluetooth page to setup a BT headset for use with the Treo 650.

If you made the mistake of using the "Trusted Devices" button to set it up, then first use the "Trusted Devices" button to remove your headset from the list, then...

Do this:

Bluetooth -> Setup Devices -> Hands-free Setup ... etc.

Do NOT do this:

Bluetooth -> Setup Devices -> Trusted Devices ... etc.

The pairing process seems successful when using the "Trusted Devices" button, but the result does not work.

It is apparently just another Palm bug in the Treo 650 software. I don't know whether the bug is also present in the Treo 680, Treo 700p, etc..

(You don't want to know how much time I wasted finding this out, while trying to get my Treo 650 to work with my Sony HBH-608 headset.)

-Dave

dave at burtonsys dot com but please no spam

by Kim | Apr 25, 2007 3:02:13 PM

I am having the same problems with the H300. It is automatically answering. Does anyone have a fix for this? I guess i'm going to have to take it back. I really need to find a headset that works with the 650.

by Jim | May 1, 2007 5:10:12 PM

Setup your H300 as "Car Kit" instead of "Handset" and the auto-answer problem is solved. I just figured it out by accident today and found a confirming post elsewhere on the 'net.

by Stacey | May 8, 2007 2:32:26 PM

Wish I had read all this before I purchased the H700. I have paired three different devices successfully but can not get the outgoing calls to route consistently. Incoming appears to be better. ?
I am ready to throw in the towel. Not much help from Sprint or Motorola either. I'm not sure the 700p should be listed as compatible with the H700.

by andre HUNT | Sep 14, 2007 2:06:14 PM

Just got my H-700. and have been trying to hook it up to my nokia 6103. FUlly charged, and I've gone around looking for any bluetooth devices on....(one can easily forget the mouse), and no matter where I go in the house, my H700 doesn't stoip blinking in blue and becoming a constant purple which means it's in a pairing mode. I've reclosed it and opened it, and checked my phone to see that it's bluetooth is off before starting the routine. THe H700 never stops blinking blue. Any thoughts? thanks...by the way, my url is a very unusual collection of sideshow photos from the late twenties that I have contributed to the main sideshow web site...pretty charming stuff....

by Willis | Feb 7, 2008 7:49:56 PM

I have a TREO650.. and purchased the H500 from Motorola. It cuts off automaticallt every every 10-12 minutes. I can not tell you how frustrating this is. Moto want to blame my TREO...

Sorry the TREO can NOT affect the H500 power. Moto convinced me that I purchase a "bad" unit.. so I went to FRYs to get another. This did the same. 10 minutes of operation them automatically turn off. Basically the unit should stay ON until I CUT IT OFF.

Don't BUY the H500! H500 must stand for Horse-shit500. I don't care about the $50 buck... I'll throw it in the garabge... and I'll never buy another Motorola product!

by Rob White | Feb 17, 2008 10:09:56 AM

I've just been pairing a Motorola HS820 Bluetooth with my Treo 650. Got it there in the end, but it's garbage sound so I'm taking it back. BUT it seems somehow to have disabled the built-in earpiece on the Treo! TOTALLY bizarrely, the speakerphone works OK but NOT the ordinary earpiece. I haven't been using a wired handsfree, so I don't see how it can be something to do with the earphone jack. I've done soft, system and hard resets - no luck. Please can anyone help me? It's driving me nuts - only just got it back from a screen fix too.

Rob - London, UK.