BlackBerry Connect Is Ready But...

I am currently in the beautiful city of Barcelona to attend the 3GSM World Congress where I’ll be until tomorrow to see some of the latest mobile devices and technologies.

Naturally, one of the key things that I wanted to learn more about was BlackBerry Connect which you might recall I saw a preview of at 3GSM last year (read BlackBerry Connect Now In Final Beta).

Well, on the one hand I am happy to announce that BlackBerry Connect is actually ready and all that apparently remains to be done is final certification from Palm, carriers and RIM.  However there’s no indication as to how long this certification process might take – it could be weeks or it could be months and since we’ve already been waiting over a year for it you’ll excuse me if I’m somewhat pessimistic about a speedy release.

Unlike last year’s version, BlackBerry Connect is now integrated within VersaMail instead of being a standalone application.  However, I was informed that this BlackBerry Connect also requires a desktop component for setup and synchronisation (this is not desktop redirection and messages continue to be pushed via a BlackBerry server).

Above, BBC (BlackBerry Connect) appears as an email account in VersaMail and clicking the ‘Edit’ button confirms that the settings can only be changed ‘using the installation program on your desktop computer’.

I did get to access BlackBerry Connect’s ‘Preferences’ which included settings for Display, Deletion, Alerts, Server, Main, Information and Service Books.

Just to make sure that everything was as RIM claimed I sent a test email from my Treo to the BlackBerry Connect enabled one on their stand and I was indeed delighted to see that within a few seconds my email (below) popped up on screen.

Finally, it’s worthwhile noting that BlackBerry Connect is not only ready for our PalmOS Treo 650 but also now for the Treo 700w running Windows Mobile 5…

In short.  BlackBerry Connect is real, it’s ready and it works.  The only thing missing now is figuring out when we’ll actually be able to sign up for the service…

Treonauts always want to connect

Posted by Andrew on February 14, 2006 at 08:13 AM

Treo Software | eMail

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference BlackBerry Connect Is Ready But...:

» Waiting for Blackberry Connect on the Treo 650 from vowe dot net
Well, I have seen it at Lotusphere and now it is seen again at the 3GSM World Congress. It appears to be in final beta and waits for certification. Whatever that means. More >... [Read More]

Tracked on Feb 14, 2006 11:35:10 AM

» Windows Palm BlackBerry from L A M M E R S O N L I N E . N L
[Read More]

Tracked on Feb 18, 2006 9:01:59 AM

Comments

by Andrew | Feb 17, 2006 5:26:47 AM

David - my guess is that Palm will provide Treonauts with a BlackBerry Connect installer which will update Versamail.

You will not have to purchase a new Treo but obviously you will have to pay for the BlackBerry Connect service either via a hosted solution provider or BlackBerry Server installed in a business environment.

by tom | Feb 17, 2006 9:49:45 AM

It didn't mention anything about the Calendar. Email's great but I need the calendar sync too.

by bob | Feb 17, 2006 10:47:42 AM

That last pic is a fake. It doesn't even look like a Treo 700w. It is clearly a cropped up photo of a HTC Wizard. Just look at the bezel around the screen.

by areyouwishing | Feb 17, 2006 11:18:54 PM

Like most others, for the corporate world, blackberry is it. If I don't have push email, calendar, tasks, address book, memos i don't want it. It is nice, however, that Palm is starting to dig into this territory.

I wish I could go back to my palm 650 (I'd even take a 700w) but no push means no work.

by Tom | Feb 18, 2006 10:39:10 AM

I find the "need" for push email to be humorous. There are so many times my crackberry addict friends grab their buzzing crackberry (mid-conversation) to find out that Bob brought in treats today. If somebody needs you... they're going to call or page you.

by Miguel | Feb 18, 2006 9:54:28 PM

Any info on the calendar OTA synch capabilities? What about access to corporate email directory? All this is standard in Blackberries with BES.

by Russell | Mar 21, 2006 4:20:56 PM

Tom,
In reference to your post on 2/18, Blackberries running on a corporate BES can do a "lookup" on company's GAL (Global Access List". Once you've done a lookup, you can ADD that user to the personal contacts of your blackberry.

We are really excited here for the release of the Blackberry Connect software. It's going to open up a lot of devices to the reliability of the Blackberry Enterprise Server.

by Blake Hyggen | Apr 5, 2006 1:56:16 PM

Just curious if anyone has a release date on Blackberry Connect. I am currently using Rogers MyMail, which is less then perfect. I am INCREDIBLY pumped about the release of this software and would be willing to crash my device a few times just to have a taste of the Beta. So any help would be great.

by JP | Apr 12, 2006 2:51:21 PM

RIM announced today the first provider that has released the Palm 650 BlackBerry Connect Program:

by Dave | Apr 21, 2006 3:17:00 PM

Palm rep just told me this will be released "sometime in May".

by alex | Jul 8, 2006 2:02:04 PM

Haven't been able to get BBC to work on my 650! ;-( Any help would be appreciated!

I called my IT department...they set me up ont BB Enterprise and gave me an activation code.

I called Cingular and got the blackberry connect plan for the phone.

I ran the software...but am getting an error...not provisioned on the server...what am I doing wrong?! When I look in the "email" applicaiton it sais that there are no service books on my device...?

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears!

by David | Sep 9, 2006 4:46:33 PM

Please someone tell me How do i find and remove the simms chip from my treo 650. It is not located under battery in plain sight. Need this help.
dlfdos@aol.com
David

by MG | Dec 1, 2006 8:50:31 PM

Hi

Is BBConnect for Treo already available? Where can I find it?