Set Your Calendar: Treo 700p Coming May 15!

I’ve been at CTIA in Las Vegas all week where I was obviously hoping that Palm would announce and show our new Treo 700p.

Alas there was no official announcement and I didn’t get a chance to play with one but there were nonetheless ‘trusted sources’ that categorically stated an announcement date to be made by Palm and Sprint on Monday, May 15 – just a little over 5 weeks away…

This also overlaps closely with the previous rumours that claimed an actual commercial availability date of May 28.

Naturally I am extremely excited and anxious for this latest addition to the Treo family which promises to have more memory, broadband data connectivity with EVDO and many software additions among others.

However, I am even more interested to learn about the forthcoming release of the next GSM Treo for Cingular in the US and Orange in Europe – both of which promise to be the ‘slim and slick’ anticipated “Hollywood” model – but unfortunately there has been absolutely no sight of this device to date.  The GSM version is important for me because Sprint’s Treo 700p will be CDMA and thus unable to provide international roaming for Treonauts traveling to most countries outside the US including Europe and Asia.

In the same vein, a GSM version of the Treo 700w possibly to be launched by Vodafone in Europe and Cingular in the US in the coming months are also highly anticipated.

Combined, all of these new Treo models, software updates (Microsoft’s ‘Direct Push’ email) and international releases should strongly help Palm towards our projected cumulative number of Treonauts worldwide of over 3.7 million by the end of next quarter.

Treonauts are always spoiled for choice

Posted by Andrew on April 7, 2006 at 12:23 PM

Treo 700p

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Set Your Calendar: Treo 700p Coming May 15!:

» Rumour : Treo 700p coming in May? from Treo Today
Right, so the new Palm Treo 700p smartphone did not appear at the CTIA Wireless show, as previously speculated. Now Treonauts reports that the new Treo 700p may be jointly announced by Palm and Sprint on May 15th. Or May 28th. This is becoming al... [Read More]

Tracked on Apr 8, 2006 11:22:52 PM

Comments

by Baysharam | Apr 7, 2006 3:09:45 PM

Any idea on what Sprint will charge for EVDO?

by dutchtrumpet | Apr 7, 2006 3:27:58 PM

I pay $15 for unlimited evdo with sprint

by RichC | Apr 7, 2006 7:25:55 PM

You commented that you got to "play with one" ... but did you like it?

by RichC | Apr 7, 2006 7:38:07 PM

Whoops ... my fault ... "didn’t get a chance to play with one" [embarrassed]

by Rome | Apr 7, 2006 11:54:16 PM

Andrew, you must have talked to the same "trusted sources" that Engadget talked to:))

by Blake | Apr 8, 2006 12:14:51 AM

I don't get it.... the 700P will be released on May 15th by Sprint or Sprint will announce when they will release the 700P on May 15th?

by Andrew | Apr 8, 2006 3:49:17 AM

Blake - yes, I also got a little confused...

Product Announcement = May 15
Actual Release = May 29?

Rome - not quite sure who Engadget spoke to...

by Mark Belanger | Apr 8, 2006 7:27:49 PM

I called Sprint to report a lost phone and the rep tried to convince me to reup on my contract. I said I was waiting for the next crop of phones. "Oh, you mean the 700p? Sprint is releasing that in June." She still tried, but I declined.

Call for yourself!

-MB

by Unknown Treo Guy | Apr 8, 2006 8:06:37 PM

I've got inside sources that are telling me that the GSM version of the 700 is scheduled for an October time frame. There are supposedly two releases at that time which are likely a Cingular and Unlocked version.

My inside source has zero info on the alleged "hollywood" Cannot even verify it's existence.

by Vincent | Apr 10, 2006 8:57:40 AM

i don't understand what are the differences between the actual Treo 650 and this Treo 700p except for the small form factor "evolutions". A palm OS version of the 700w would be a 650, no ?

by Unknown Treo Guy | Apr 10, 2006 1:29:29 PM

Vincent,

More system memory, a better camera, Bluetooth 2.0 and EVDO access. Although, EVDO is only CDMA. GSM has Edge which the 650 is already able to access.

by Blake | Apr 10, 2006 6:22:11 PM

What's faster? GSM's Edge or CDMA's EVDO?

by jaseone | Apr 11, 2006 12:41:15 AM

I can't be bothered digging up the specs but EVDO craps all over EDGE, the equivalent to EVDO in the GSM world is HSPDA and I believe well I hope at least that the 700p will have HSPDA in it's GSM flavor.

by Vincent | Apr 11, 2006 11:34:29 AM

all this time to wait only for a better camera and bluetooth 2.0 ? I can't believe it !
I like my treo (actually a non bluetooth treo 600) but i don't understand why we have to wait so long to have new products always with the same form factor. I don't want to focus on my case, but i think custumers want sometihing really new... can't wait the hollywood if it's true

by Perry Holden | Apr 18, 2006 8:53:31 PM

by Enio | May 5, 2006 5:01:09 PM

I need to know if the 700P will have the Microsoft’s ‘Direct Push’ email. Big selling point for me. I'd rather have the P. Way more software out there.