Treo Battery Life Test

If you're looking for a Treo battery to increase the talk time and overall performance of your smartphone our Treo accessories Store has all the options to offer you - from a standard or high-capacity battery to an extended or ultra-extended battery as well as Treo Battery Chargers we have everything that you'll need to power your device all day long.

A couple of weeks ago I wrote about my new Seidio Extended Battery which now provides me with 33% more capacity than the standard Treo batteries – something which I have found useful for all occasions but particularly when I am travelling and listening to music and watching movies.

However, one of the things that I have wanted to figure out for a very long time is what the approximate total battery life is to a) listen to movies with Pocket Tunes using ‘background playback’ and b) watching my DVD movies with TCPMP and/or navigating with my TomTom GPS Navigator kit (both of which require the screen to be ‘always on’).

Using a few software battery measuring tools, testing hours of music and movies play as well as driving around with my GPS combined with a few calculations yielded the following results for the Extended Battery (the standard Treo battery results would be about 30% lower):

• Battery life with music playback in background mode
    • 730 minutes / 12 hours and 10 minutes
  • Battery life with movie playback in full screen mode
    • 260 minutes / 4 hours and 20 minutes
  • Battery life with GPS Navigation in full screen mode + active Bluetooth
    • 230 minutes / 3 hours and 50 minutes

Most people would agree that the above are clearly already pretty impressive battery life times but you can enhance these even further by:

• Temporarily disabling Bluetooth.
  • Use a tool such as KB LightsOff to temporarily disable the keyboard’s lights (for those applications that have the screen always on).

I am sure that you’ll be able to find plenty of hours to like me experience just how much of a fantastic entertainment device your Treo can be in addition to being the best solution for business mobility.

Treonauts always work at max power

Posted by Andrew on April 3, 2006 at 11:58 PM

Treo Accessories , Treo Battery

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Treo Battery Life Test:

» How long can the extended Treo 650 battery last? from Treo Today
The Seidio Extended Battery for the Palm Treo 650 smartphone promises an extra 33% capacity over the standard Treo battery. But how does the battery stand up in real life? Andrew of Treonauts does a test. The answer is a respectable 12 hours and ... [Read More]

Tracked on Apr 4, 2006 8:36:06 AM

» Surtido de enlaces 008 from CanalPDA
La autonomía que más preocupa a muchos usuarios de dispositivos móviles no es la del Estatut, sino la de la batería. El treonauta Andrew Carton ha comprobado para cuánto tiempo de música (730 minutos), de cine de bolsillo (260 minutos) y de navegación GPS (230 minutos) ... [Read More]

Tracked on Apr 12, 2006 9:25:52 AM

Comments

by proee | Apr 4, 2006 10:42:10 PM

Great information. I've always wanted to know what the capability of the treo is for these sort of applications. Thank you!!!!

by s.elements | Apr 5, 2006 3:57:25 AM

What software did you use to measure the battery life? I'd like to run a few tests myself. Mainly see how much having push email with Chatter versus not having it effects my battery life. It's seems to be only marginal, but I'd still like to know. Also, I expected the battery life to be longer for background music playback. My Rio Carbon lasts for 20 hours! Of course, I also don't use it anymore(thanks to my Treo)...

Another thing - were all these tests done while the radio was on? Anything else running in the background(such as Snapper)...

by s.elements | Apr 5, 2006 3:58:32 AM

I hate that I can't edit a post. Anything else running in the background?

by Matt | Apr 5, 2006 11:01:30 AM

Chatter is only marginal dif for you?!?! It's 50% or worse for me. With chatter, I get maybe a day and thats with only 3-4 calls per day. Without chatter, seems to go for 2-3 days easily. I figured having the data conneciton live was just the cost of business.

Anyone else see differently?

by Andrew | Apr 5, 2006 11:52:50 AM

s.elements - for battery software I used: Michau's Battery, Battery Graph, Runtime, Battery Log, Battery Test, PAjDA Battery, UtiALL, Memory Line.

As you point out, please note that battery life may vary significantly (upwards or downwards) depending on other variables such as 'radio on', etc. (My test were all done with the radio on).

by Sawyer | Apr 5, 2006 8:26:37 PM

This is great and interesting, but if there's one thing i'm sure of, it's that battery makers like to inflate their claims of battery life. It would be really interesting to see what you get with your regular treo battery, especially to see if there's any truth to the 30% improvement claim. Of course, if you've been using that old battery for a year or so already, it wouldn't be a very fair comparison, but i think it would be interesting nonetheless. Thanks.

by s.elements | Apr 5, 2006 11:41:06 PM

Yeah, Chatter's only made a marginal difference on baterry life for me. It partially depends on how much mail you get and your IMAP client, however. For instance, I use FastMail and they have GREAT IMAP implementation, so I only see my data connection going 'active' about once every 6 minutes or so. Just enough to keep it alive. Love Chatter. Get on that review already Andrew! I'm gonna go peep some of that software...

by Woolstar | Apr 6, 2006 3:04:10 AM

I don't know why your TCPMP results are so bad, but I typically get 8-10 hours of movie viewing on a regular battery. Just was travelling today, and starting with a battery that wasn't all the way full (charged it yesterday afternoon), I'm at 43% left after watching three hours of TV shows while travelling (along with the usual phone calls, SMS, and email). Now, on the plane the radio was off, but I don't think that explains everything.

by Brent | Apr 8, 2006 1:29:52 AM

Turning off 'Beam Receive' can make a huge difference in battery life.