Invisible Treo Utility: Brilliantly Simple & Useful

I love my Sprint Treo 700p but there has always been one small detail that has bugged me on this and other Treo smartphones that come pre-installed with applications (such as ‘Get BC’ and ‘Get Good’ below left) that I do not want or need to use.

Because these programs are installed in ROM they cannot be deleted and _always_ show under the “All” Applications tab cluttering my space.  Now thankfully I have discovered [Thanks Steph] an extremely small and simple software aptly called Invisible that ‘hides’ any unwanted application from your list.

All you need to do is:

1. launch Invisible (image above right),
  2. find and select the application that you want to hide,
  3. click the ‘Hide’ button which will add a ‘+’ sign (image below left) next to the program and you’re done!

Both ‘Get BC’ and ‘Get Good’ are now gone (image above right) from my Applications list…  In total thanks to Invisible I have hidden some ten programs from my Sprint Treo 700p including Software, Downloads, Quick Tour, My Treo, Calendar, Contacts, Memos, Messaging and Email.

Treonauts are always clutter-free

Posted by Andrew on September 14, 2006 at 04:28 PM

Treo Software | Utilities

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Invisible Treo Utility: Brilliantly Simple & Useful:

Comments

by TazUk | Sep 14, 2006 4:46:34 PM

The other option is to use a custom ROM with those apps removed :o)

by Angelo | Sep 14, 2006 7:37:51 PM

Why use another useful application? Why not use your phone and create/edit a category to your hearts content. It seems like your getting to smart and not thinking of the practicality of your phone. Why be dumb and add more programs that are going to be functionally useless.

by David | Sep 14, 2006 9:01:58 PM

Will this work after a hard reset? Sounds weird, but, here's what I'm looking at....

Right now, I have BackupBuddyVFS(VSF??) installed on both my card and my Treo. If I'm cycling through the menues, it goes through the card menu, because that's there. There's a bit of a lag when it accesses it, along with the fact that I have to go through it. Really, it's an annoyance, that's all.

What I'm looking for is something to hide that so it'll skip the Card menu, then, after a hard reset, be able to go to the menu to restore my data. I'd try it, but it's a bit risky, if it doesn't work out just right.

by morrie | Sep 14, 2006 10:28:13 PM

i don't know about any future backup problems but i sure like the much cleaner startup without all of the programs that i never use.

by jason | Sep 15, 2006 2:42:32 AM

obfuscate does the same thing and keeps after soft resets.

by andrew | Sep 15, 2006 3:07:46 AM

jason - thanks for the tip about 'Obfuscate'. The application can be found here: http://www.pocketscience.com.au/products.asp

Please note that 'Invisible' also keeps the hidden apps after a soft reset.

by Cripple | Sep 15, 2006 3:20:55 AM

There's also SharkROM from Ludus Tech who wrote SharkMsg. http://www.ludustech.com/sharkrom/
For Apps in RAM that you'd like to hide you can use ChangeMe http://www.payalba.com/

by David | Sep 16, 2006 1:36:16 AM

How about keeping them hidden after a hard reset, like if you hide an app on an SD card? Will it be visible or is it gone?

by dave | Sep 16, 2006 9:09:32 PM

Yeah, I think your thinking too far into it. What I do is create a tab in Zlauncher with my name, then put all of the apps in there I use. I then leave the others else where. There is your "invisible" mode. Only use that tab and never have to worry about going to all or main unless you have installed a new app. Then click it, set it to category and your done. Simple. No need to install an app to hide them. So i'm not sure why your making it difficult.

by Brian | Mar 16, 2007 2:09:47 AM

hiding isn't the same thing as removing and thusly freeing up that space to put another app on a custom ROM - The author here is incorrect - We can remove anything we want from the ROM as many have. I have removed megabytes worth of language overlays for installed apps. Those 2 apps he originally cites here could have been simply removed from an extracted version of his ROM and then that ROM re-uploaded into his treo. Done. Hiding isn't a solution when you are dealing with a device that uses it's memory like the treo does. Adding another program to do this job only mucks up the works.