Treo 750v: In My Hand! First Impressions

I’ve just spent the last 30 minutes in heaven playing with the new Vodafone Treo 750v and I have to admit that one of the hardest things that I’ve had to do in a long time was leaving the Palm interview room without ‘accidentally’ putting it in my pocket…  I will be updating this post regularly over the coming hour with more pictures and first impressions but for now all I can tell you is that this latest Treo is ABSOLUTELY gorgeous.

It may not look (above) much smaller than the existing Treo 700 series or Treo 650 but there is no doubt that once you hold the Treo 750v in your hands you can immediately feel the weight difference (about 15% less than previous ones) and the removal of the antenna really makes it much more comfortable and appealing.

At last, I was also able to categorically confirm that the Treo 750v shares the same “rubberized paint’ coating that the Limited Edition Black Tie Treo 650 has – in this case it’s simply blue instead of black.  The tactile feel of it as well as the look make it a much more ‘modern’ looking smartphone than previous editions.  Additionally, a small detail is that Palm really did a beautiful work on the detailing of the Vodafone logo at the back by not simply printing it but providing a 3D element – very classy.

The Treo 750v feels very much like the “slicker” version that had been described to me previously.  I found it incredibly exciting to see this latest model which has lost some weight and become considerably more fit.

Since it has no antenna, is 1mm thinner, 2mm narrower and 24 grams lighter than its predecessor it’s obvious that there will be a need for new cases to be designed to fit.  Above is the Treo 750v in my new P5 UltraSlim Pocket Leather Pouch (which is now finally available to pre-order).

A new and elegant silver tipped stylus as well as a much slimmer and smaller capacity battery (1200 vs 1800mAh) and the GSM SIM tray now hidden below the battery.  The more I write about this the less I can wait for Cingular to release its own GSM version of this fantastic device in the US with PalmOS please!

The new miniSD slot pictured above (which I found just a little to difficult to open) to the right side of the smartphone as well as the IR port which have both moved away from the top where now only the fabulous Ringer Switch remains.  I guess that I will have to find a new use for my 20+GB worth of SD cards now…  Also, the new slim battery versus the standard one from my Treo 700p below…

As many other PalmOS Treonauts will undoubtedly agree, I am feeling increasingly disappointed to see that all of the latest first launches of new hardware form factors (such as the Treo 700w previously) are being released under Windows Mobile first.  I have no doubt that this is not Palm’s fault but that of the carriers who for one reason or another find themselves motivated to promote WM ahead of PalmOS.  At the same time I fail to understand why Cingular are taking sooooo long to release their own version of the Treo 750 (hopefully with _both_ PalmOS and WM5 versions).

Having said all this, at least now I know that it’s certainly worth the wait – every moment of it…

Treonauts always demand to have the most beautiful things

Posted by Andrew on September 12, 2006 at 03:32 PM

Treo 750

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Treo 750v: In My Hand! First Impressions:

Comments

by Paul Elosegui | Sep 14, 2006 4:11:51 AM

Still waiting for the wifi...

by Mr. Peabody | Sep 14, 2006 8:58:50 AM

Hey, this looks great, but I'm not biting until a post-700p model comes out! More memory, please! Keep me from having to carry around a laptop!

by nick | Sep 15, 2006 3:28:19 PM

This is from "http://treo.about.com/"...
".....Personally, I think even if the Vodafone model does not have built in Wi-Fi, it may be included in the US model, as the designation 750v could very well stand for the 750 Vodafone edition, with Wi-Fi being disabled at their request. Of course, it doesn't give me hope for a higher resolution screen having all sources agree on 240x240....."
Any rumors about it?????

by Dee | Sep 15, 2006 6:11:04 PM

Expect a Cingular Branded Treo - The 735 not 750 as most of you expect sometime in late October, although a late October release has not been ruled out to boost sales with the christmas shopping rush.

by Sean | Sep 17, 2006 7:30:38 PM

"I know you are all fans of the palm os, that's why your treo fans, but don't you think that the os is basically dead"

If it is, it's because Palm is killing it. PalmSource released a new version of PalmOS 4 years ago which Palm has refused to adopt (I'd assume because they'd have to pay for it), and have been shoving inferior products down our throats ever since. Palm has given up on providing reliable well thought out products like they used to, and now cares only about the margin they can get. And that's why it's not PalmOS that's doomed, it's Palm. Hopefully PalmSoft will find some other licensees that will pick up the new versions and do something with them..

Because if I don't get decent new PalmOS devices, Palm won't ever see another red cent of my money. They make shitty hardware, they can't code reliable software, and everyone else does WM better than they do.

by Vinnie | Sep 18, 2006 2:15:42 PM

I've been introduced to PDA's via the Treo 650 so I will be 4ever grateful. I immediately became a fan and purchased just about every program that meant anything to me. Unfortunately, I'm a Cingular customer and they are very slow with rolling out new product. I still have my Treo and I use it for a backup phone now. While checking back on this site for updates everyday, I ended up purchasing a Cingular 8125 and was introduced to Windows mobile 5.0. Everyone is now rolling out the HTC TyTN or Cingular 8525. Palm has lost a fan of their Treo products because of their relationship with Cingular. I live in New Jersey and I'm Still waiting for Cingular's new Treo. I'm in the entertainment industry and I now love the rectangular screen on the TyTN device and overall design vs the treo. I also love the slide out keyboard. Palm I do love your OS. So much more user friendly. My suggestion is you keep your current design of the Treo but in order to compete forward, you should design a device to compete with the HTC/Hermes devi

by Kaino | Sep 18, 2006 2:28:04 PM

Treo Gorgeous? Did I miss something? Nokia E61 (or E62 in US http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/E62/) is lighter, has much better design and has wifi (as all new business phones should...)

by serpico | Sep 18, 2006 2:47:40 PM

I'm going crazy waiting for an upgrade to my 650. I just want this style of Treo with GSM and PalmOS. When will it ever happen? The sad part is we all accept the limitations and old age of this OS from Palm. They know they can get away with it. I'm not a fan of Windows Mobile, used it before and don't like it. I really feel the limitations of my 650 and I'm about to go back to a PDA and cell phone. Unfortunately it will be a Palm TX and Razr (old tech again) but they are the slimmest options available. The wait is driving me crazy. Blackberrys are still limiting and not sure about Symbian devices from Sony or Nokia.

by The Oracle | Oct 1, 2006 6:52:07 PM

My Treo 650 was aging and I had to have newer technology and since I am a big HP fan i browsed their website and found their new Ipaq hw6945. Boy was it pricy. I have had it for about 3 days and I am ready to send it back. So come monday I will try to do a return. I was going to trade in my Treo 650, but now seeing that their is a new Treo on the horizon I will sit and patiently wait just like I did for my 650 when it came out and I disposed of my Treo 600. So if any of you can get a real time frame I am really interested in knowing. The HP is not worth $599. It is not easy to use and is not as easy to operate as the Treo. Reading from the Vodafone website this is the device to have. I must have it, WIFI or not!

by J-Mar | Oct 3, 2006 7:06:15 PM

I read an article about palm os not capable to handle 3G technology. we will not see a 750 palm os version until palm source gets eith the program!

by Sam | Oct 17, 2006 1:07:49 AM

by max | Oct 22, 2006 1:52:29 PM

dont put ur dreams so high
get back iPAQ hw6945

i have been watting LOOOOOOOOOOONG ENOUGH STILL NO WIFI
and already 4 new treos out
man after 4 hyears bye bye plam
im getting iPAQ hw6945
I NEED WIFI

by Javaman | Oct 27, 2006 6:06:17 PM

I couldn't wait for my carrier, Cingular, to get with the program in offering the 750. So...I did the next best thing and bought a Vodafone 750V from a guy in London who was selling it unopened via eBay. Once it arrived, I unlocked it, following the steps published elsewhere. Once I unlocked it, which took maybe 5 minutes max, I slipped my Cingular sim card into the device and - VOILA - it's been working like a charm ever since!! I've been a Palm OS groupie for a long, long time now..but have gotten tired of the same old OS. Decided I'd *try* the Windows OS. It's beautiful!! Not one system crash in the week I've been using it! Let's hope Cingular gets going with offering the phone here in the US soon!!

by SigmaMason | Oct 31, 2006 11:38:11 PM

Javaman,

How is the battery life?
Any complaints at all? Thinking of getting that Vodaphone version and considering the historical issues with WM5, wasn't sure if you had any slowdowns or lockups.
I know my issue with the 650: random resets and crap battery life.

by WALTER | Nov 2, 2006 3:15:06 PM

HAS ANYONE TRIED styletap ON THE 750 YET? THIS PROGRAM ALLOWS YOU TO RUN PALM SOFTWARE ON A WINDOWS DEVICE! http://styletap.com

by Andrew | Nov 15, 2006 11:15:28 AM

Am I missing something, is the 750 going to be that much better than the 680, which is now coming out and will cost much less?

by sb | Dec 17, 2006 10:33:23 PM

Wonder who told Palm that battery Cap. was NOT important....New 680 battery a joke...

by dogenia | Mar 28, 2007 10:44:07 AM

I was wondering if the WM6 upgrade would be available for the Treo 750V also?

by belen | Oct 15, 2009 2:18:13 PM

como hago para configurarlo en castellano