Treo Family Comparison Chart: Understanding The Differences

Following my post about Choosing Your Next Treo so many Treonauts have emailed me asking to better understand the specific differences between the six current and future Treo smartphones that I thought the time had come to put together a comparative chart for all of these [our Treo Comparison Chart has been updated…].  I have included all the specifications and highlighted the areas where there are clear differences between one or more Treo smartphones (most accessories will work across all Treo smartphones except the cases).  Please click on the chart below to open a full resolution image.

Treonauts always understand the differences

Posted by Andrew on October 24, 2006 at 01:10 PM

Treo 680 , Treo 750

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Treo Family Comparison Chart: Understanding The Differences:

» Treo Family Comparison Chart from Home Office Lawyer
Treonauts has a great post today called, Treo Family Comparison Chart: Understanding the Differences. It is a great source to compare the features of each of the Treos. If you are considering the purchase of this great tool to stay [Read More]

Tracked on Oct 24, 2006 1:47:33 PM

» Looking to buy a Treo from In Search Of Utopia
I am GOING to buy a new Treo 680, as soon as the unlocked models are available. This comparrison chart from Teonauts compares all of the current Treo line, if you are considering purchasing a smart phone, its a... [Read More]

Tracked on Oct 25, 2006 4:04:21 PM

Comments

by andreas | Oct 25, 2006 1:00:51 PM

andrew,
I remember reading (perhaps in one of your earlier posts?) that the 680 feels slower, even though the specs a very similar--maybe because it uses lower speed memory or something. Can you confirm/elaborate on that?

by e | Oct 25, 2006 1:45:39 PM

Didn't the Palm guys say it would be about $200 on contract? I would assume that this is a data contract.

by Stefan | Oct 26, 2006 6:18:00 PM

Thanks for the chart, I really needed this to keep the overview.

I would say, keep it up-to-date and give it it's own section on your site/menu bar!

by Al Arca | Oct 27, 2006 9:45:08 PM

Nice chart. I would love to see the difference in the type of Bluetooth that each phone uses. Which one of these uses Bluetooth 1.1 compared to 1.2? Makes all the difference on whether you can use a Bluetooth headphone to listen to music.

by whatledog | Oct 29, 2006 4:44:05 PM

So according this chart, there isn't going to any gsm Treos (either OS) that will be wifi capable, even with my palm wifi SD card?! Too bad, my college is blanketed with wifi! I had high hopes for the 680 with Cingular. I guess I'll be looking somewhere else.

by TJ | Nov 8, 2006 10:02:20 AM

Just an FYI, I think on your new text based chart you have the prices for the cingular 650 and 680 shifted to the right of where they are supposed to be. you have no price for the 650, a 299 price for the 680 and a 174.99 price for the 700p (not even available on Cingular....might want to check that out.

by JohnnyD | Nov 8, 2006 11:52:15 AM

Can somebody help me understand the screen resolution? I'm a little nervous about the 750's resolution @ 240 X 240 vs. the 680's @ 320 X 320. Since the dimension of the screen looks to be roughly the same size these pixel counts seem to suggest that the 750 will have 75% of the resolution that the 680 has. That seems hard for me to believe, though. I want to believe that they are going to produce this phone with a brilliantly colored and clear screen. Somebody told me that I'm not understanding these resolutions correctly... that these resolutions don't really describe the image quality as I thought. They said that the manufacturer may be using the same screen for both phones but they feel that the 240 X 240 is the best choice for the Windows operating system. Can anybody explain this to me?

by JohnnyD | Nov 8, 2006 1:12:47 PM

Actually, the more that I think about it... you can adjust your monitor to have a larger or smaller desktop and these resolutions change even though the image quality isn't more or less bright or clear. This argument suggests that the resolution (320 X 320 or 240 X 240) doesn't translate to image quality. The other argument, though, says that one screen has more dots of color than the other. If you compare the total number of pixels on one screen vs. the other the larger number suggests more dots of color. It seems to follow that the larger number would translate to a clearer image. Which is it?

by steve | Nov 28, 2006 7:20:17 PM

The 320x320 Palm OS screens look _a_lot_ better than the old 240x240 Palm screens. Too bad the Windows phones don't/can't use that resolution.

by Jay Guire | Dec 10, 2006 9:47:43 AM

When I looked at Cingular service at Radio Shack the other day, unlimited data was $20/month for all the phone there. Granted, the 680 was not there yet. Has the price been dropped since this chart was created or is it higher for different categories of phone?

by East | Dec 12, 2006 9:45:08 AM

As I understand it the 750 Treo will have UMTS but not HSDPA. Is that true.

by Greg | Dec 17, 2006 5:59:58 PM

A note... the 680 does have built-in voice memo, and doesn't require a third party app. By default, that app is linked to the PTT button on the side.

by Joshua Ochs | Jan 4, 2007 5:16:07 PM

The Treo 650 is available for $99 from Cingular with plans. Also, the Treo 680 supports SDHC, so 8GB cards and beyond. I would assume the 750 has similar support, but I don't know about Windows Mobile.

by Charles Merriam | Jan 28, 2007 9:56:05 PM

Great chart!

Two things to make it even better:

1. Add a second 'height' line in the dimensions to include the total height with the antenna. Right now, the height chart looks odd because the 680 and 700 are the same size.

2. In the phone, the megapixels line should probably be a red background, not green, for the low resolution of the 650 and 680.

Thank you again!

by Willmore | Feb 6, 2007 9:05:51 PM

Andrew,
Does Treo 680 have Push Email capability?

Great website, I like it.
Thanks.

by CLINT GROMMETT | Dec 13, 2007 12:22:13 PM

CORRECTION: The Centro does not have a mini SD slot. The Centro has a MICRO SD slot.

by Marcus Lee | Apr 8, 2009 4:17:12 AM

Hi,

This is a nice chart, well done. I believe Centro can only support microSD, not miniSD.

Cheers,

by darkestmon | Apr 15, 2011 11:37:01 PM

Hi, great chart but I believe Palm Centro do has a built in voice command option, by default, accessible by pressing the button on your headset.

thanks.