Treo 680: Woohoo!!! Cingular & Unlocked GSM From $199

Treo680OfficialLaunch

The wait is finally over…  After some agonizing weeks for all existing and will-be Treonauts the Treo 680 from Palm and Cingular is now finally available to buy just in time for the Thanksgiving holidays and I have been particularly lucky to already get one in my hands…

PalmTreo680OfficialPalm’s Unlocked GSM Treo 680 – priced at $399 – is now available to preorder exclusively via the Palm online store and Palm US retail stores.  As previously posted, Palm’s unlocked version is offered in four new colors - Crimson (red), Copper (orange), Arctic (white) and graphite (grey) pictured here on the right.

The Palm OS based Treo 680 smartphone has an internal antenna and slim form factor, making the device smaller and sleeker than its Treo predecessors in the US.  It's also the first Treo smartphone to come in unique colors.  But beyond the Treo 680's new design, customers will find the Treo 680 smartphone easy to use and packed full of features beyond its stellar phone capability, such as email, web browsing, messaging, multimedia, calendar, contacts and more.

The Treo 680 and the Treo 700p smartphones are among the first mobile phones to support streaming Flash-based movies, including those found on YouTube, with the release of the new Kinoma Media Player 4EX.

For a limited time, the Treo 680 will come with a music bundle from Yahoo!, which includes a 30-day free trial to its Yahoo! Music Unlimited To Go service and Yahoo! Music For Mobile.  Users have the ability to access the Yahoo! Music Unlimited music library from the phone and to send tracks remotely to a PC.

CingularTreo680OfficialCingular’s Treo 680 – from $199 with a two year contract and unlimited data plan – is available to order immediately online and it will be available across Cingular stores and select retailers beginning this Friday Nov. 24.

Among others, the Treo 680 now offers:

• A new internal antenna enables a sleeker design;
  • An improved phone application on the Treo 680 smart device allows users to dial faster;
  • The ability to ignore calls with a quick text message lets users tell a caller "I'm in a meeting" or "Can't talk now";
  • The large, bright color screen is perfect for viewing email, documents or spreadsheets via DataViz Documents To Go(R), and even photos and movies;
  • The highly regarded built-in QWERTY keyboard has improved buttons, making it even easier to type emails or SMS messages;
  • The messaging application displays text-messaging conversations as "threaded chats," similar to IM, so users can see their entire conversation with a particular person; and
  • The Treo 680 smart device also can be used as an MP3 player and has an integrated digital camera, camcorder and video player, with simpler organization for photos and photo slideshows.

Treonauts are always celebrating

Posted by Andrew on November 22, 2006 at 06:43 AM

Treo 680

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Treo 680: Woohoo!!! Cingular & Unlocked GSM From $199:

Comments

by Andrew | Nov 22, 2006 11:07:19 AM

David - I can now confirm that Telenav will not work without a Bluetooth GPS receiver on the Treo 680.

[What is Telenav GPS Navigation? Please see: http://blog.treonauts.com/2006/11/new_treo_gps_so.html ]

by jonathan Pabalate | Nov 22, 2006 11:26:13 AM

Hey Andrew.... anyword on whether Bluetooth voicedial works on the 680? or is that a feature we will have to wait for untill the treo 750p?

Thanks,
Jonathan

by IntheKnow | Nov 22, 2006 11:27:52 AM

The 680 does support TeleNAV, but it requires an external GPS receiver...

Photos of my Cingular Treo 680 here

A short Review...I've been using the device for about 2 days now, there is little doubt it's a step up from the 650. The RF and voice quality are better, although the volume is still a little low for my personal taste (my Blackjack is much better). I'm very happy with the BT...it paired up to my BH-600, the built-in BT in my car no problem. The design is much sleeker as well. The speakerphone still leaves room for improvement. I'm running Pocket Express and Goodlink on the device and I still have plenty of memory space. Overall I'm happy with the device, but not elated. Louder volume and a better speakerphone would have tipped me over the edge.

Other devices I use: E62, 8525, Blackjack, 650

by jso | Nov 22, 2006 11:59:30 AM

OK...I'm new to the whole smartphone thing! I was planning on purchasing a new Palm handheld PDA and then saw the prices were up there. Then I saw the ads for the 680 and decided for a little more, I could have a PDA and all the other communication features.

Soooo, I have 2 basic questions (more sure to follow!)...if I purchase an unlocked 680, can I use the PDA features before activating with Cingular? And, because I currently have Verizon, what hoops will I have to jump through to change when my current contract is up? I've read previous posts about being sneaky to get a $20 data plan. If I'm new to Cingular, do you think I'll have the ability to stay on the cheap side for the data plans?

thanks for any info and insight!

by Rob_G | Nov 22, 2006 12:00:32 PM

Does anyone know if the Treo 680 will natively support A2DP? I have been using the demo of Softick Audio Gateway. It works pretty good, but an incoming call kills the audio and locks the phone up. I was able to stream 320 kbps audio, though, which surprised me.

I read the following article talking about "enhanced" Bluetooth, but no mention of A2DP.

blog.treonauts.com/2006/11/treo_680_vastly.html

by Benny | Nov 22, 2006 12:02:59 PM

Just placed my order for my unlocked Palm.

Couple of questions I'm hoping someone can address. I'm a cingular customer, and I want to add the cheapest unlimited data plan. I'm aware of the PDA connect plans and the smartphone connect plans, and I've come to the conclusion that these are the same and Cingular is simply overcharging for the same service simply due to phone capabilities (something I consider unethical). Here's my question: I currently have a dumbphone, and I can't upgrade to the SmartPhone Connect ($20) on the website, as my phone doesn't support it. It does, however, support MediaNet. Wondering if I can use MediaNet as my data plan without any hiccups / slowness? If not, how do I sign up for Smartphone connect so I can save the $20/month without revealing that I have an unlocked PDA phone.

My other question: I'm going to buy a new SD card, but there's been some question into the size. I've read in different places that the 680 can handle a 2g or 4g SD card. Can anyone confirm which is correct? Furthermore, are there any specific SD cards that the phone is not compatable with, as companies are starting to make faster SD cards?

by Andrew | Nov 22, 2006 12:11:39 PM

jso - yes, you can use all the PDA functionalities of the Treo 680 without the need to activate your smartphone with Cingular.

Rob G - I'm still checking on A2DP support.

On the SD card front, I can confirm that the Treo 680 does work with 4GB cards and I'm using this one at the moment http://shop.treonauts.com/content/accessories/7-124--1052.htm There will not be any noticeable difference using faster SD cards.

I hope this helps.

by IntheKnow | Nov 22, 2006 12:56:01 PM

I tried a PQI SD Card in my 680 and it does not work. No problems with Sandisk, or Transcend.

I forgot the link to my photos from earlier, here it is:

by Spinteews | Nov 22, 2006 12:57:47 PM

Sweet, i'm excited. Use the 680 for now and upgrade from my 650 until the 750 or 800 or whatever is out lol.

anyways, do you guys see if you trade-in your 650 for the 680, you can get $125 credit? Do you think its worth it? Damn when the 650 came out I purchased it for full retail unlocked GSM.... arg

by Andrew | Nov 22, 2006 1:06:09 PM

Spinteews - I would definitely not trade-in my Treo 650 for $125 credit. There are a hundred different things that you can do with your spare Treo even without an active wireless line.

by Joshua Ochs | Nov 22, 2006 1:14:01 PM

I still have no idea why you'd be excited to upgrade a Treo 650 to this. You lose the antenna and get some more memory - that seems to be it. No other major hardware features (WiFi, improved Bluetooth, EVDO, HSDPA), no major software features - just memory and lack of an antenna.

Oh well, to each their own, I guess.

by Eric Walker | Nov 22, 2006 1:20:01 PM

I think 4 times the memory is a tremendous thing.

by Eric Walker | Nov 22, 2006 1:21:17 PM

Or well!!! almost 3 times the user available memory.

by Bluewombat | Nov 22, 2006 1:30:53 PM

I'm excited about the idea of finally combining my PDA with a phone (my old phone is getting...old!).

Here's my questions: I'm kinda attracted to the red 680, but have seen a lot of phones where the collor wears off the case quickly leaving a rather ugly phone - thus dark grey might hide things better. Anyone have a sense on how durable the case looks?

by spinteews | Nov 22, 2006 1:42:39 PM

I'm excited since my phone is almost 2 years old. I got the very first ones. mines getting old, run down, dirty etc... I'm a consumer whore and love new gadget... after this 680, i'd go to the next new treo. damn

i'd even consider the 750v but i'm not a windows mobile fan and $700 on ebay is not a fun number

by Eric Walker | Nov 22, 2006 1:53:47 PM

spinteews, I am with you. I almost it the bid button many times for the 750, but the 2 main reasons I haven't is because.

1. I am waiting for a less expensive US version to come out.

2. I want a different color. I hope it comes in copper like the 680.

I haven't used windows mobile before, but I am sure it can't be that bad. I do like the Palm OS though.

by Dean | Nov 22, 2006 1:56:18 PM

So, I placed an order for the 680 and they say it is still pre-order and shipping won't take place for 1-2 weeks. Anyone else hear differently when they place their order?

by roy | Nov 22, 2006 2:13:45 PM

Will Phone 3.0 be available for the 700P (Sprint)?

by David | Nov 22, 2006 2:19:44 PM

Josh - There is, in fact, inproved bluetooth. Dean - the Palm employee I spoke to today said the first batch should go out Monday but after that it could take up to two weeks.

by Dean | Nov 22, 2006 2:36:43 PM

I hope the "first batch" includes me...or maybe it will just be those that were up all night and placed their order at 1 a.m....hmmmmm...

by Robogeek | Nov 22, 2006 2:54:25 PM

FINALLY!

It only took SIX WEEKS since they announced it, and I still have yet to receive any official Palm Treo newsletter announcement, which promised us all immediate notification (but is now running at least 12 hours late). Clearly, competence abounds at Palm. ;-)

Anyway, I ordered my unlocked graphite 680 bright and early this morning (sadly I didn't stay up late enough last night to be one of the first orders in), but was disappointed/annoyed to have to pay $399 instead of the $349 indicated Monday by that hidden page -- though free overnight shipping softened the blow, and was appreciated. Later I called to see if I could get a better shipping ETA than the official "up to 1-2 weeks", and the rep said today's orders should probably be shipping within 5 business days, which means delivery by the end of next week (hopefully).

Honestly, if I already had a 650, I doubt I'd be splurging on such a modest upgrade (unless I was a happy Cingular customer and could snag it for $199, but I'm a stubborn T-Mobile user). But as the owner of a battered and barely functional three-year-old Treo 600 that's on its last legs, I couldn't order the unlocked 680 fast enough.

I just fear Palm is releasing it about six months too late. I mean, can you imagine if the 680 had hit the market before the Q, Pearl, Dash, Blackjack, etc.? Now Palm is stuck playing catch-up with older technology in a less sexy package.

by David | Nov 22, 2006 2:59:04 PM

Dean, read my earlier post (#8) and imagine how I'm going to feel if I'm not first batch and have to wait 2 weeks after ordering at 1 am.

by Dean | Nov 22, 2006 3:06:03 PM

Response to 46 (Robogeek)--I am in somewhat of the same boat. I am with T-mobile and have been for a long time but I've never had a Treo. Everyone in my family has 700p's through Verizon but I really wanted to see what the 680 had to offer. Hopefully it will have been a good purchase on not find there are defects, requiring us to send them back...

Also, Robogeek, what do you know about T-mobile's data service? I heard it was $29 a month and it seems pretty fast. What have you (or anyone else with T-mo) found?

by Troop | Nov 22, 2006 3:15:18 PM

Two questions-

-Does anyone have any idea about insuring an unlocked Treo? I currently have T-Mobile, and am unsure if my current insurance will cover a phone not purchased thru T-Mobile.

-Any idea if the TomTom GPS navigator bundle will work with the 680? It seems like it should, but the 680 is not listed as compatible and I want to make sure it will work before spending the money.

by Dean | Nov 22, 2006 3:28:39 PM

I also would really love to know if anyone knows about insurance through T-mobile, and or through Palm and how much it is.