Jabra BT8010 A2DP Stereo Bluetooth Headset

Jabra BT8010

Until now I have generally not been particularly interested in these BT stereo headphones principally because they were all huge and thus not particularly appealing.  I was however very pleasantly surprised when I received my new Jabra BT8010 (pictured above).

Unlike other headphones in this category, the Jabra BT8010 offers a very smart, unique and innovative solution to the “Huge & Ugly BT Stereo Headphones” problem by essentially combining a normal primary standalone ‘Mono’ Bluetooth headset (below) with a secondary add-on unit (above left) which plugs into the other to deliver stereo output when required.  Basically you can use one unit when you just want to make or receive calls and the other when you specifically want to listen to stereo audio for your music or movies on the go as well as make calls.

However, this is not the only thing that makes the Jabra BT8010 unique as it also offers:

• Excellent talk and standby times of 10hrs and 13 days respectively(see comparison chart further below)
  • Play/pause/stop, next track, volume control for your music or movies directly on the primary headset
  • Dial volume control
  • Vibrate mode
  • Multipoint Bluetooth (2 pairings – 2 connections)
  • Easy On/Off power slider to save battery life when not in use
  • Built-in phonebook can store up to 30 contacts
  • OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode) scrollable display with Caller ID and full battery level indicator
  • DSP chip (Digital Signal Processing) reduces background noise/automatic volume control
  • Bluetooth 2.0 supporting A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile) and AVRCP (Audio Video Remote Control Profile) profiles, headset (HS)
    and hands-free (HF) profiles
  • BT8010 “Control Center” PC application allows you to further customize your headset and also perform firmware updates in the future
  • Wall charger + USB charging cable included

Most of my favourite Bluetooth headsets would seem to be pretty ‘basic’ in comparison to the wealth of features and functionalities that the Stereo BT8010 provides.

Finally, I found the Jabra BT8010 to be very comfortable to wear (above) and arguably the only thing that still mildly holds me back from recommending it more heartily is the fact that it’s just that little bit too large.  Having said this, considering the _extensive_ list of features that it offers I am perfectly willing to overlook this.

Below is a comparative chart of the Jabra BT8010 compared to four other of my favourite and bestselling Bluetooth headsets – the Jabra BT 125, Motorola H700, Jabra JX10 and Palm Wireless Headset:

Please note: I tested the Jabra BT8010 with a Windows Mobile Cingular Treo 750 which delivers control to both Phone and Music features (for example you can listen to music and pick up or dial a call).  Additionally I also successfully tested the BT8010 with a Sprint Treo 700p using the Softick Audio Gateway software (also works with the Treo 650 but currently not with the Treo 680) which adds A2DP and AVRCP functionality – albeit you can only listen to stereo music and not answer an incoming call.

Treonauts are always pushing the boundaries

Posted by Andrew on January 18, 2007 at 03:51 PM

Treo Accessories , Treo Bluetooth Headset

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Jabra BT8010 A2DP Stereo Bluetooth Headset:

Comments

by James | Jan 18, 2007 5:08:15 PM

How loud is the headset when in phone and music mode? I've held off on BT stereo headsets b/c I've always found that BT phone headsets are never loud enough.

by Don | Jan 18, 2007 6:35:49 PM

I am confused by your last paragraph referring to 650. Does this set allow you to answer calls when listening to music? Does it allow you to use voice dial from the headset?
Thanks.

by Brian | Jan 18, 2007 7:02:41 PM

It would be great to listen to music with a BT headset, and I'm sure that's the future. You don't really mention sound quality for music. I have some high-quality Shure headphones for my Treo 650 and I'm guessing that these -- and pretty much any BT headphones -- lag far behind. What's your take?

by Scotty | Jan 18, 2007 7:05:10 PM

"As you might know, one of the advantages of having a Windows Mobile Treo is that it offers native support for Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) as well as something else that I didn’t know about until recently called Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP) which are required if you want to use one of the many Bluetooth Stereo Headphones now available."

Only the 750 supports this natively, the 700w/wx does not.

Looks like a good option for cycling yes?

by Richard | Jan 18, 2007 7:41:19 PM

I also found your last comment confusing:
Quote"Additionally I also successfully tested the BT8010 with a Sprint Treo 700p using the Softick Audio Gateway software (also works with the Treo 650 but currently not with the Treo 680) which adds A2DP and AVRCP functionality – albeit you can only listen to stereo music and not answer an incoming call."

Are you saying "you can only listen to... music and not answer... call(s)" about the 680 or the 650?????

by Antoine Quirion | Jan 18, 2007 8:18:30 PM

It's not true that with softick audiogateway you are not able to answer an incoming call.

I'm using it with a motorola HT820 . And when i receive an incoming call ,the music stops, and i can answer a call.

It works great!

by clement | Jan 18, 2007 8:54:12 PM

does the OLED display song info? the SE HBH-DS970 able to show song info.

by landoncube | Jan 18, 2007 8:55:57 PM

I am really interested in the new 'Jawbone' with noise cancellation. Treonauts customer service has no info? I want to buy it here!

by nick gebhardt | Jan 18, 2007 10:20:11 PM

just wanted to say i am a dedicated treonaut and i find myself checking the sites for new blog posts in the main menu. its begining to be a problem as if it was crack. Keep up the good work your site is my electonic drug

by erich | Jan 19, 2007 9:06:02 AM

Is the weight total for both ears or per ear?

by dgarts | Jan 19, 2007 12:19:01 PM

I've been bugging Jabra for a while now. They are on the cusp of releasing their BT 320s which is a bluetooth stereo earbud set:
- SMALL earbuds for both ears (not "earmuffs")
- stereo sound for music
- all the features for talking on the phone
- wireless from earpieces to Treo (the two earbuds themselves are wired together, but there's nothing connecting to the Treo but Bluetooth waves, nothing to catch on and rip your Treo off your belt clip the wires find a way to do way too much).

The website says "available soon" and its been that way for a while. When they finally are released, these will be my choice. I hate wires, but listening to music on a single BT earpiece in mono is no fun.

by Yukoner | Jan 19, 2007 2:32:44 PM

I read all BT headset info with a mind towards simply getting my 700wx to allow me to make voice calls through the headset.

The information with the 700wx says it won't allow that, nor will it allow stereo by BT. Does the BT8010 come with some software to overcome the 700wx dire limitations in this regard?

by porkozone | Jan 19, 2007 3:27:04 PM

Can you use just the single piece to play back audio? or does the A2DP only work with both combined? I would love this if I was able to sometimes listen to podcasts using just the one earpiece...that way I could be listening in realtive public (not rudely so though) and not look like I was completely tuned out...they would just think i was one of those guys wearing their headset even when not on the phone...

by dgarts | Jan 19, 2007 5:57:12 PM

Hey porkozone,

I think the answer to your question is yes, provided you're using a BT 2.0 device that will support A2DP.

I agree, sometimes you want to be discreet, and earmuff headsets, or even dual stereo headsets, don't feel comfortable in such situations.

However, in terms of pure listening enjoyment, even telephone conversations become a lot more audibly vivid in stereo.

by Enrique Ortiz | Jan 21, 2007 11:54:22 PM

I have just seen the Palm website and it states:

Note: Treo 750, 700w, or 700wx smartphones do not support Bluetooth wireless connections with A2DP devices, such as stereo headsets. You cannot listen to MP3 or other music files through a Bluetooth headset.

Link to support document:

Also, any specific reason why the T750 Cingular is incompatible with most Car BT Kits (I own a '07 328i sedan with BT and my 650 works fine, but I just got the 750 on Friday and it paired fine but I get no audio...the Palm site states it is not compatible....any word on this or a workaround?

Thanks,
Quique

by Sven Ehlert | Jan 22, 2007 5:36:14 AM

I can back up Antoine Quirion above. I'm also using Moto HS820 with my Treo 650 and Audio Gateway 1.06 and you can receive calls while listening to music and you can also place calls.

Generally the solution works quite well, but (I guess it's to the absolutely miserable Palm Bluetooth stack implementation) sometimes it takes some fiddling (i.e. resetting the Treo) before it works. Also I experiencend that in some cases the music won't continue after a call, while it in other cases it does, cannot find a pattern here. But this also happend with my previously used Stereo cable headset.

Despite all the annoying problems, I'm very happy with the BT stereos - won't ever go back to cables!

by Tim Horton | Feb 8, 2007 12:43:00 AM

I own two 700p and two JX10s. At first the units worked well and now I can randomaly get them to pair and when they do I can't use the JX10 at all. When a call comes in, I press the button - it answers but no sound (volume has been from all - to all +). So I try to initiate a redial - same condition - it dials the number but no voice. If this were a single pair of parts I would say one was bad - but its two pair. I have mixed up the sets as well with the same results. I am suspicious that the problem is in the palm software as I am NOT able to delete old pairing attempts. Please can someone help me or confirm with me that Sprint needs to replace my phones.

Thanks to all who take the time to read my long posting.

by Dennis | Mar 9, 2007 10:52:02 PM

I've Purchase the BT8010 from Ebay and its wonderful! But Has anyone been able to download the Control Center Software the website is not submitting my registration and customer support was no help. If anyone has it can you please email it to DBitowf@gmail.com. Thanks.

by Gabriel | Mar 20, 2007 3:58:41 PM

can anyone tell me how far away fomr the device you can go until it breaks out and i have a motorola slvr (L7) would it work with that

by Nate | Apr 18, 2007 10:42:30 PM

I too have purchased the BT8010 from Ebay, and I love it! Only downside is that the Jabra website says Available soon, and I can't register my headset, or download the software for the Control Center. If anyone has any ideas, or a contact number for Jabra in the USA, please email me at hainesnc@yahoo.com. Thank you.

by Dan | Apr 19, 2007 12:09:37 AM

Hi, I have the Jabra Stereo BT8010 and a Treo 700WX. I have yet to use the smaller second stereo headset as I have not downloaded the A2DP file. I am thus far unimpressed and maybe it's because I am missing something...
1) The pairing fails regularly and I end up having to use the phone not the earpiece over and over and over.
Then, after telling my TREO to turn bluetooth off and on a few times it will work again. (YES I HAVE TRIED REFRESHING THE CONNECTION AND "RE-FINDING" IT).
2) When the are paired it causes my TREO to light up over and over, then do dark adn then re-light.

So - thus far I am unimpressed. The unit is fully charged and only a few days old.

ANY FEEDBACK?

by Kent | Apr 20, 2007 12:27:47 AM

I received my BR8010 today as well as the Jabra A125S (ipod adapter). Here are my initial thoughts, I hope they are helpful.

I use a Verizon Treo 700wx and using it alone with the headset I have had zero problems. The stereo audio quality is excellent (I did not have to install the A2DP profile to get stereo audio) and the call features are better than the last two blue tooth headsets I used. The voice dialing worked through the earpiece, something that none of the other headsets I used were able to do. (Note: This does not mean that the voice dialing button on the headset works, I still had to initiate the voice dial from the phone, but the audio and mic on the headset were used to actually voice dial) Calls caused music to correctly pause and switch to the phone call, and music resumed playing correctly when the call was ended. Sound quality on the receiving end was just as good if not better than my last two headsets, and those I tested calling today were unaware I was on a headset.

The problems really only started when I paired the headset to a second device. To say they are problems is a little unfair, but you do lose some features by pairing to two devices. Depending on which device is the primary connection, some things do and don't work. The best configuration I have set up is the ipod adapter as the primary connection and the phone as the secondary. You retain all the audio control functions with the ipod, and only loose voice dialing and last number dialed functions on the phone side. The other problems that show up with dual pairing is its not exactly easy to switch from having the stereo audio from my ipod to my phone. While I don't always have my ipod with me, I always have my phone and it would be nice to be able to easily use my phone to play music. It's not impossible, but its not easy either. I may figure out an easier way to do it, or the firmware update that was released may help, but until I can update the firmware from vista, I guess I'll just have to figure it out on my own.

I hope this long winded post was helpful, just ask if you have questions.

by Stillyman | Sep 5, 2007 7:06:18 PM

OK I have a Treo 700wx. I just bought a BT8010 I did get it to pair fine. But when a call comes in I just gives a default ring and does not announce the call I have to look at the CID on the phone. Am I missing something? Or will this feature not work. I would think the ring tones would work but they do not come through the headset either. Is their a blue tooth head set that really works with the 700wx? Tired of wasteing time.

by Marshall | Sep 25, 2007 10:56:48 AM

Can someone give me a yes or no answer please. I wanted to know if the Jabra BT8010 will work with the Treo 650 with the Softick Audio Gateway software installed. I am thinking of purchasing it but on the website it says its only compatable with the 750. I read the blog but I just want to be clear before I spend 100+ dollars. I need someone who has personally tried it.

by Donna | Sep 25, 2007 10:36:10 PM

I bought the Jabra BT8010 from Verizon in June and use it with an LG EnV and a Jabra a120 bluetooth adapter for my Ipod and PC. The functions work fine and sound is good. However, I'm lucky to get a couple hours of talktime and I've never gotten more than a day and 1/2 standby time. (Far cry from the 13 days). I returned my original to Verizon and got a new one one, and still no luck. I'm thinking I'm doing something wrong; or it has something to do with the EnV. Anyone have this experience?