Treo 8GB HDSC Memory Card Great On My 680 + Hack For Treo 700p

I have recently discovered that the Treo 680 natively supports the new 8GB SDHC cards (the Treo 700p also works via a simple hack) and naturally I just couldn’t wait to to get my hands on one and take it for a spin…

Treo 8GB SDHC Card

Over the years I have amassed quite a large collection of SD cards – the ones above are just ‘a few’ of these – which have been key to help me really enjoy the digital entertainment capabilities of my Treo – with music (Pocket Tunes Deluxe), movies & TV shows (CorePlayer), photos (SplashPhoto) audiobooks (Audible), ebooks and podcasts.

To date I have typically travelled with some ten SD cards (see The Joy of Large Capacity SD Cards) giving me close to 30GB of mobile storage but I will now very happily change this to four 8GB SDHC cards (the fact that their price keeps dropping and is now below $75 per unit at places like Newegg also makes it affordable).  Another plus is that I am now finally able to put the _entire_ contents of my PC’s personal and business files (excluding music and movies) on just ONE 8GB card and access these on my Treo on the go (with DocumentsToGo and other applications) – absolutely amazing.

Treo 680
Getting started using an 8GB SDHC card with your Treo 680 simply requires you to insert it in the SD card slot.  However, there are two things to note.

First, when you check Card Info in your Applications you will see that it will state that your card has 3602.4MB Free (image above left) instead of 7602.4MB but don’t worry as this is just a small reporting error and does not reflect the storage capacity that you have available – all applications on your Treo will have access to the full 8GB storage capacity.  For example, in the image above right my card actually has 7044.3MB used but it only reports 3044.3MB.

Secondly, unless you have recently purchased an SD Card Reader that specifically works with the new SDHC cards you will be unable to use your old card reader to transfer files.  I personally chose to get the small SanDisk MicroMate SDHC Card Reader (pictured here) which I like a lot and is backward-compatible to work with all previous SD cards that you might have.  Some people have also reported some success using the Softick Card Export II software (which turns your Treo itself into a card reader) with SDHC cards but I personally prefer the simplicity of a standalone card reader.

Treo 700p
Enabling the use of an 8GB SDHC card on your Treo 700p is a bit more complex but even a novice user should be able to do this within a couple of minutes.  You’ll first need to:

1. Download and install the free FileZ application (or a similar one such as the great Resco Explorer)
  2. Download but do NOT install and do NOT HotSync this SDIO-sdsd.prc file
  3. Have a standard (not SDHC) SD card of any size ready
  4. Have your new 8GB SDHC card ready

Then do the following:

1. Copy the SDIO-sdsd.prc file to your standard SD card (not SDHC)
  2. Insert the standard SD card in your Treo 700p
  3. Open FileZ, browse to your SD card, select ‘Copy’ the SDIO-sdsd.prc file and ‘Paste’ it to your ‘Internal’ memory folder
  4. Exit the application and soft reset your Treo

After all this you should now also be perfectly able to use your new 8GB SDHC card with your Treo 700p.

Overall
It may not be ‘super’ easy to get started with these new 8GB SDHC cards but the fact is that our Treo is actually one of the very few devices out there that is actually able to even use them so I think that the small trouble and some patience is well worth the effort.  To be honest I haven’t yet quite absorbed the fact that I now have an incredible 8GB on a single SD card on my Treo!  Amazing…

Treonauts are always amazingly amazed

Posted by Andrew on February 7, 2007 at 06:31 PM

Treo Accessories , Treo Memory Card

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Treo 8GB HDSC Memory Card Great On My 680 + Hack For Treo 700p:

» [Nieuws] 8GB SDHC driver voor Treo 700p en 650 from Palmclub.nl
Voor iedereen met een chronisch ruimtegebrek op SD kaartjes is er goed nieuws. Ook de nieuwe SDHC kaartjes kunnen in diverse Palm devices gebruikt worden. [Read More]

Tracked on Feb 22, 2007 6:04:30 AM

Comments

by Karl | Feb 11, 2007 4:39:22 PM

I think the key is get 5gigs of info on thr card and see what card info shows. also explorer (by motion apps) shows same incorrect gig space...

by Mike | Feb 12, 2007 12:27:00 PM

Has anyone actually confirmed that SoftTick CardExport will work with large SDHC cards?

I'm currently demo-ing it and would like to know.

I'll try to see what SoftTick says and report back...

by FredPMIdd | Feb 12, 2007 11:57:07 PM

I just completed the 8GB hack on my verizon Treo650.
"MY" experience (and research on a couple of the other forums) was that using Card Info or Card Export II- both show less than 4GB on the 8GB SD card if you have less than 4GB of data stored on the SD card. Once you go over 4GB of data, the reader will then be forced to show amounts over the 4GB and up to 8GB. I'm using the Transcend 8GB SDHC card. I have not had a chance to add more than 4GB to the card yet, however others have been successful.

by LubyHoward | Feb 14, 2007 8:50:56 AM

I got my A-Data 8GB SDHC card form Newegg yesterday, and after a few mishaps all is good using it with my Treo 680.

1) I had to reformat the card using my Windows XP PC - prior to that it was stalling and causing mayhem on my Treo. I use Card Export II, and it works perfectly. After many problems with timeouts and such, I finally soft restarted the Treo with the card out, put the card in, started Card Export and formatted the card using the Windows "Format" utility. Once that was done it works great.

2) Card Info continues to show the aforementioned incorrect total storage amount, but Card Export shows the correct amount (around 7.77GB). I was able to successfully use the card and load close to 8GB of movies, music and apps onto it!

3) The 8GB card is a bit slower than my previous SanDisk 2GB card, but once I went through the reformatting and such it is not too bad at all. I think it is definitely worth it to have 8GB of storage!

by Ed Bacchus | Feb 14, 2007 2:32:38 PM

This is a great article. I have a 2G card now and was wondering if I can use the card reader to transfer my old files to this new 8G card? Will that work well?

by Dave Lerell | Feb 16, 2007 2:43:12 PM

Im looking to get a transcend 4 gig sd card for my treo 700p because the Topram 4 gig sd card did not hold 4 gigs worth of data, it only held about 2 gigs and then the phone stopped reading songs, movies and anything else after about 2gigs. So basically it acts just like a 2gig card but slower. After reading these blogs i am encouraged get the transcend 8gig card and use the hack. Does anyone know if theres a top quality sd card other than transcend that might work better than transcend and would i need a hack for the 4 gig transcend as well as the transcend 8 gig. I just dont like waisting money on more storage when i can get a bunch of cheap 2 gig cards-which i might end up doing anyway. Thanks in advance.

by James | Feb 17, 2007 1:22:41 AM

When I go to the page for the SDIO-sdsd.prc you link to above, it says

Minimum Requirements:

* Treo 650 or 700p

Compatible Devices:
Palm: Treo 650, Treo 700p

So maybe it will work on the 650.

by D. Lerell | Feb 19, 2007 10:20:13 PM

Im looking to get a transcend 4 gig sd card for my treo 700p because the Topram 4 gig sd card did not hold 4 gigs worth of data, it only held about 2 gigs and then the phone stopped reading songs, movies and anything else after about 2gigs. So basically it acts just like a 2gig card but slower. After reading these blogs i am encouraged get the transcend 8gig card and use the hack. Does anyone know if theres a top quality sd card other than transcend that might work better than transcend and would i need a hack for the 4 gig transcend as well as the transcend 8 gig. I havent tried transcend 4gb card yet.I just dont like waisting money on more storage when i can get 2 gig cards that i know will read and write fast. Thanks in advance for anyone that cares to respond.

by D. Lerell | Feb 20, 2007 4:53:41 PM

Why are'nt anyone answering my blogs ? :( Boo Hoo
Dave.

by Jeff Bonas | Feb 21, 2007 4:33:06 PM

I just received the A-Data 8 GB card from NewEgg.com. I follow your directions for the Treo 700p and everything went perfectly.

I tried all three of the card readers that I have and none of them would read this card. I had the Card Reader (version 1.04) app by Mobile-Stream installed on the Treo and when I ran it the card showed up as a drive on my laptop. I found that there is an update to version 1.05, so I installed it and it also works great.

As others have mentioned the properties dialog in Windows shows the full 8G but the info on the Treo only showed 3.5G. As I added data to the card I noticed that the info on the Treo would show (Free Space: 3.9G of 3.5G). So the correct amount of free space seems to be displayed but not the total amount. This is not really a problem since I already know the total size of the card.

This is awesome! 8gigs on my Treo without having to change cards. I remember when I purchased my first SD card to use in my Palm m125 back in 2002. It was 16MB and costs $59.99 plus tax. This 8GB card is $45 after rebate.

Thanks for the help!

by BIGMAT1201 | Mar 12, 2007 1:02:00 AM

I'm have the same problem, my A-Data Super SDHC 8Gb card only shows about 3.5Gb total, did I patch it wrong, for some reason it won't let me delete the SDIO-sdsd file off my 700P so I can't try patching it again, what do I do? Also it won't let me delete anything off the card from the treo, I can delete files off it from my card reader but not the treo. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

by lord buju | Mar 20, 2007 6:52:21 PM

Well I know the hack is for a Treo 680&700p. But I tried it out for a Treo 700wx. It did not work. So is there a hack out for a Treo 700wx?

by Dominick | Mar 20, 2007 8:31:31 PM

Is there any way this would work on the Samsung i730?

by Dominick | Mar 21, 2007 12:03:36 AM

If not, does anyone know where one could get drivers/firmware or a hack to do this on the Samsung i730 to get it to recognize an 8GB SD Card? Since at least one person reported a Samsung OEM 8GB SD Card working on an i730 at pdaphonehome.com I would assume there is a way to get it working. Thanks.

by Paul Yanez | Apr 6, 2007 5:44:35 AM

Hi, I will like to know if some day not so far will be easily connect a WiFi SD Card for the Treo 680 Palm O.S. 5

Than you.

by Ray Waterman | Apr 11, 2007 10:07:01 AM

I think he specifically mentioned that the full 8gb size will not be reported on the treo.

by Dave | Apr 11, 2007 3:11:34 PM

Has anyone who has hacked their 700p for SDHC compatibility successfully used TomTom Navigator 6 after doing so? The hack worked fine for my music/audiobooks/pictures/tv shows, but now I can't get Navigator to work. It says that the software is not compatible with my device!

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

by Dave | Apr 11, 2007 8:11:41 PM

More info regarding the previous post. Originally, I had the card that came with the TomTom Kit. Inserted it and everything worked. Now I have misplaced that original card. I thought, no problem, I wanted to start using an all-in-one card anyway. I bought a ScanDisk 4.0GB SDHC and used the hack to get it recognized. Again, no problem. Then, I installed the TomTom software onto the card from the DVD. When I first went in to start the application, it would go to the TomTom legal notice screen. When I clicked OK there, it looped back out of the application to the main Treo apps screen. I spoke with a techie at TomTom, and after trying a few things he sent me to the Palm site for the Treo 680 update. He had me copy data.chk and Munich.bin to the TomTom folder on my memory card. He also had me copy the file start.prc to the Palm directory on the card. From that point, every time I try and start Navigator, it allows me to select my language, then comes up with a screen that says "Your device is incompatible with TomTom Navigator." I then went back and went through the same steps with another memory card (not SDHC). Same problem.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

by dennis | Apr 26, 2007 1:13:00 AM

crazy problem!!!

i just purchased a 4gb (no brand name but looks like a sandisk w/o the "sandisk" words) sd card b4 knowing about this sdhc incompatibility stuff...

before the sdio program, my treo would recognize the card upon 1st entry...but forget it either instantly or minutes later (sometimes i could even listen to a few songs or watch a tv show from the card)

now after downloading, still the same problem!!! whats wrong? heeelp

by Dominick | Apr 27, 2007 4:55:37 AM

Hmm..or not. Any chance FileZ may be made available to work on non Palm OS's, Windows Mobile 5 and 6 possibly anytime? Thank you.

by ted | May 15, 2007 9:40:17 PM

Can an 8gb memory card be put into a treo 750?. if so which one and how do I do it? Thanks in advance.

by tomgutz | May 27, 2007 12:43:21 AM

Im looking at buying an 8gb ADATA SDHC. Ive read from the message trail that somebody encountered problems with it having TomTom Navigator installed. I am just wondering if there are cases that some other users has used the 8gb SDHC and have success on using TomTom navigator?

thanks in advance!

by Paul Thompson | Jun 14, 2007 9:24:25 PM

So, what's the chance that 16GB or 32GB SDHC cards will work in the likes of my new Treo 680? :)

(greedy, aren't I....)

Not that 8GB isn't great. I am just wondering if the big deal with the 680 is that it supports 8GB cards specifically, or just the SDHC standard.

by josh3ber | Jun 16, 2007 7:52:46 PM

I recently got a Transcend 8 gig sd card for my treo 700p. I did everything mentioned above: filez, SDIO-sdsd.prc, etc. It worked, at first. I had to perform a hard reset the next day to fix a calendar issue. After fixing the calendar, my treo would not read the 8 gig card. Filez, however, still shows that SDIO-sdsd.prc is there. What do I do? Please help.

by Brian | Jul 6, 2007 4:05:18 PM

I followed the directions with my new 8Gb card and all seemed to go well. However, I use Windows Media Player to sync my music and it only sees about 3.6Gb free. Any ideas why this is so? Any way to fix this?

Thanks,