Treo 800p First Images

This weekend further details and the first pictures of a next generation PalmOS Treo 800p have emerged.

Treo 800p

It’s always hard to tell from blurry spy shots (above) what the relative proportions of the device might be but a side-by-side comparison with the Treo 755p (below) appear to indicate that the Treo 800p will have:

• A smaller display (still a square touchscreen with 320x320 resolution though) running PalmOS Garnet
  • A narrower body and by extension also narrower keyboard (about 10–15% less than previous models)
  • A shorter body (possibly shaving up to 5mm at the top)
  • The same HotSync connector as current devices (meaning that most existing Treo accessories will work fine but naturally the smaller form-factor will require new Treo cases)
  • Much more “rounded” edges and body (moving away from the angular design first introduced with the Treo 700)

Treo 800p Comparison

Although the thickness of this new Treo 800 (unconfirmed name) appears to be roughly the same as that of a Treo 680 the anonymous source who took the pictures pointed out that the overall form factor is smaller and thinner than a Treo 650.  Also, the keys of the keyboard are made out of a soft translucent plastic.

Treo 800w

Finally, these latest pictures of a Treo 800p seem to put to rest previous rumours that a Palm OS device with a rectangular non-touchscreen display might be released.  Clearly, the previous Treo 800 images (above) are now with some degree of certainty those of a future Windows Mobile Treo 800w and a similar form factor running PalmOS will not be released.

Treo 800p Live Spy Shots [via Palm Infocenter]

Treonauts always get the first pictures

Posted by Andrew on August 6, 2007 at 08:22 AM

Palm Centro , Treo 800p

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Treo 800p First Images:

Comments

by outlost | Aug 9, 2007 10:17:32 AM

Thats it! I'm buying a IPHONE!

by Victor | Aug 9, 2007 2:13:58 PM

If this is the new future of Palm, so future of Palm is R.I.P.
Nah, it must be a joke! C'mon, no one really would project such a ugly piece a crap! Lets laugh: its a joke! hehehehehehe (gulp)!

by Shaun | Aug 9, 2007 3:07:26 PM

Looks pretty ugly to me. Can anybody validate this post on the 900p? This device looks pretty amazing. I am gonna miss the qwerty keyboard though.

by Heiko | Aug 9, 2007 5:09:43 PM

@Shaun: Thats for sure a Photoshop-Fake. Look at the weight! Seems a manipulated image of a Treo680.

by Liberty For ALL! | Aug 9, 2007 8:12:26 PM

So Palm didn't get a clue after finally seeing the iPhone?! It seems innovation is dead at Palm -- there could have been so much potential, but over the years, they totally wilted... Sigh.

by Freak4Dell | Aug 10, 2007 12:16:47 AM

Shaun, yeah, that's gotta be a fake, and a bad one at that...there's absolutely no room underneath the DPad and hard keys. I've never seen any electronic device without some sort of framing.

by amalsbury | Sep 21, 2007 12:18:27 AM

Okay... I was looking at this, "new palm" and thinking that it is actually pretty cool looking... Yeah right! I thought "what in the world are they doing!!!!!" It was nice to read that everyone else thinks the same thing. I even laughed at the responses as I read through them. If this is palm's new product, I am definitely going to blackberry!!!

by serge ouaknine | Nov 6, 2007 5:41:15 PM

I do care about Palm after 15 years of fidelity with 5 or 6 machines.... I am sad to observe Palm falling imagination.I suggest a Smartphone Palm, without frustrating anyone and without missing parts .
I wished a SMART PALM ( unbloked) with a strong GPS with guided voice, a GSM quadriband, FM tuner, MP3, dictaphone, good photo & video camera, Wi Fi, Skype, a large screen and a Qwerty keybord ? I work mostly in Europe Middle East and Canada I see people raging against Palm and mooving to Blackberry. Did you asked yourself why ? There is always something missing in a Palm machine ( I would say honnestly only the last 5 years...) . My Life Drive is a mess not even able to open a Word document without freezing, my TX has Wi Fi but no camera, my Treo 380 has a GSM with bad sound, MP3 but no dictaphone. My old 2 weeks working Zire died with scramble texts...Is this a deliberate intention to frustrate people in order to buy the next gadget ? Tell me why should I stay with Palm when Nokia and HTC give us full equiped machines ( except full Macintosh access) ? Why Palm has abandonned its faithfull Mac clients ? When we know that most of Universities, college educators , artists, designers, photographs, writers, are equipped with Mac computers ? It is nonsens ! So a 800 with W or with P does not impresses me...
Foleo was a good idea but the Media and short minded journalist denied it and Palm pulled back.
No guts around Palm captains... Do you have answers to this ?
Regards

by d.o | Apr 23, 2008 11:21:44 AM

That is just the windows based centro not an treo