Treo 750 Windows Mobile 6 (WM6) Update + Unlocked WM6 Treo 750!!!
Treonauts who have been waiting patiently/anxiously for Windows Mobile 6 to run on their Treo 750 in the US since first hearing about it with Microsoft's original 3GSM announcement back in February will be delighted to hear that Palm and AT&T have finally now made this update officially available.
The AT&T Treo 750 Windows Mobile 6 Update is available as a free download and as I posted previously when I updated my own Vodafone Treo 750v in Europe this Treo 750 Updater 2.25 provides the following enhancements:
- Faster downloads with High-Speed Downlink Packet Access (HSDPA) – Get faster access to large attachments, streaming video, and more.
- Update for Loss of System Sounds - Included in the update.
- Improved Calendar functionality - See the big picture at a glance. New topline bar in the agenda view shows when you're free or busy, and when you have scheduling conflicts. Drill down to view meeting attendees, contact information, acceptance status, and reply-to or forward meeting requests.
- Additional email support - Send and receive HTML emails with tables, bullets, and colored text intact. The "smart filter" for contact search has been updated so you can search for emails stored on your company's Exchange Server3. Even send an out-of-office message from your device.
- Windows Vista compatibility - Easily sync your smartphone to your Windows Vista PC, via the Windows Mobile Device Centre (WMDC).
- Better security and IT policies - Remotely wipe devices and SD cards clean in case of loss or theft. Plus, now IT can create and enforce tougher security policies, such as password protection to better manage the entire device fleet.
- Run existing applications - Most Windows Mobile 5.0 applications will work after you update to Windows Mobile 6. The .NET Compact Framework will be installed in ROM to make it easier for developers to deploy custom apps.
- Internet Connection Sharing - Utilize your smartphone capabilities by using your phone as a high-speed wireless modem for your laptop4. It's easy to set up and even easier to connect. Just click and go!
- Email hot keys - Work in the fast lane with single-key access to your most frequently used email functions. Press "R" to reply, "A" to reply all, or "M" to move to one of your folders.
- Email Inbox search - Find that important document or email. Automatically search for attachments, senders, or keywords by simply typing a few letters while you're in your email inbox.
- Access Sharepoint - Get what you need then get going. Access documents stored on your company's SharePoint servers via links in HTML emails.
[Please note that Palm Windows Mobile 6 does NOT support the Blackberry Connect (BBC) service so do not install this update if you use or plan to use BBC on the Treo 750.]
Additional enhancements on this AT&T WM6 Update also include:
- AT&T Cellular Video (CV) - Take a quick break with streaming video on your smartphone-like clips from American Idol and other TV programs, broadcasts from CNN and NBC, sports highlights, weather forecasts, and more.
- AT&T Mall- Shop for MP3 ringtones and cool wallpaper graphics. Buy MMS postcards for birthdays and other events and pay as you go, with purchases showing up on your phone bill.
- AT&T Music - Enjoy trial versions of XM Internet radio and Music ID, where you let your phone "listen" to the music and get a text message identifying it. Or download and watch your favorite artists in their latest videos. Link to popular fan sites. Buy tracks and manage your subscriptions from Yahoo! Music, Napster, or eMusic.
- Voice Command via Bluetooth wireless technology - Get more done while you stay hands-free. Dial by voice, or hear your upcoming appointments with your Bluetooth headset. Voice Command available in English, French, and German only.
- Active call access- Manage your calls more efficiently than ever. Mute calls or use the speakerphone with a single tap on your active-call screen.
- USB cable charging- Travel tip: Now your smartphone will charge when it's connected to your laptop via the USB cable.
Based on my previous installation perfoming this update using an SPE Retractable Cable and Treo 750 connected to my laptop, I completed the WM6 update in just under the estimated time of 25 minutes without any problems.
Additionally, the great thing for those people who were awaiting the arrival of the Unlocked Treo 750 running Windows Mobile 6 – which they can use on any GSM network worldwide (AT&T and T-Mobile in the US) with any SIM card – I’m glad to see that Palm have now also made this available on their website (image above) for only $549.
Treonauts always want to be updated and unlocked…