Treo 800w ETA July 22
Following the recent news that Palm was Beta testing the Treo 800w, the trickle of leaks about the forthcoming Palm Treo 800w continues apace with this latest round pointing to an “assured” launch of this high-end business-class Windows Mobile smartphone on Tuesday, July 22nd.
In addition to this supposedly firm launch date we also get a Treo 800w “spy shot” (above left) giving us a (blurry) glimpse at the “official” Charcoal Black color that it will have (but more colors are also likely).
Furthermore, a few more Treo 800w specifications pointing to a high-end smartphone with:
- Threaded SMS (similar to that found on Palm OS Treo smartphones)
- Runs Windows Mobile 6.1
- Autonomous built-in GPS
- Full QWERTY keyboard (larger than Centro but slightly smaller than Treo 750)
- Keyboard backlighting still available
- Very (very) fast user interface (no delays)
- 320x320 resolution touchscreen
- High-speed wireless EvDO Rev A
- Built-in 802.11g Wifi
- 256MB/128MB Memory
On the downside:
- No QChat (a Sprint Push-To-Talk technology)
- No hardware WiFi slider (like the top Treo Ringer button)
- No Picture Mail/MMS (yet)
- Touchscreen is not completely flush (slightly recessed)
The big question is whether Palm will have put enough design effort (particularly on the “shell”) and high-end specifications into the Treo 800w to truly appeal to the millions of Windows Mobile fans out there… I really hope that Palm is able to succeed here as it has with the bestselling Centro and demonstrate that it is still an important player in the smarpthone space.
Sprint Treo 800w Release Date [via WMExperts]
Treonauts are always part of the revolution…