Treo 850 First Real Image!

Ultraslim Treo 850 Looks Great + Has WiFi!

Hot on the heels of the first Treo 800w picture we now get the first real Treo 850 image (below) that is apparently the GSM version destined for Vodafone in the UK and which I have to admit looks pretty darn good and more closely resembles the next generation type of “smartphone for grownups” that we’ve been waiting for.

Treo 850

While I was quite disappointed with the overall look of the Treo 800w I have to say that this Treo 850 fills me with excitement and gives us all a much better idea of what Palm’s new design team is really capable of (see below).

Treo 850 & Treo 800w

Treo 850 - WiFi ButtonWith the Treo 850 we have a slick shiny black body, appealing round green and red Call Answer/End buttons, flush navigation buttons and dedicated Calendar and Mail buttons, a new round 5Way button, a full QWERTY keyboard that uses the same “sheet” technology as that found on the Centro, for the first time a completely flush square touchscreen!, an ultraslim body (see below compared to the BlackBerry 8800) and also a dedicated side WiFi button!

Treo 850 - size comparison

Additionally, although news on specifications are still slim the Treo 850 will apparently have a Quadband GSM/GPRS/EDGE radio with high-speed UMTS/HSDPA data connectivity, 400 MHz processor and 100MB of free RAM running Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional.  These specs combined with great looks at least give me enough ammunition to say that the Treo 850 could happily compete with the new BlackBerry Bold pictured below – particularly as the 850 is likely to be significantly cheaper.

Treo 850 & BlackBerry Bold

Now that I’ve seen this Treo 850 image I am really hoping (praying actually) that the previous pictures of the Treo 800w are those of an early prototype and that the real thing will much more closely resemble the 850 seen here – that would seriously make a difference for Palm and significantly change my position that the 800w has an “outdated look”.  Let’s cross our fingers on this front…

Separately, given the success of the Centro I’m really wondering why Palm has not yet released a Windows Mobile version with exactly the same form factor…

Exclusive Pics of the Palm Treo 850 [via BoyGeniusReport]

Treonauts always have something new to share

Posted by Andrew on May 22, 2008 at 05:56 AM

Treo 850

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Treo 850 First Real Image!:

Comments

by Harrison | Jun 4, 2008 11:00:21 PM

I love my Treo 680 with the palm OS. I am excited to see that palm is working on an updated version.
I actually like the way the treo 680 looks, if palm could only make it thinner...like a samsung or a blackjack. Also I love the palm OS and don't want to change to a windows format...I have so many programs for the palm os format, I would have to buy them all in windows$$$!

by Gene Rankin | Jun 9, 2008 5:08:03 PM

The last thing I'll replace my Treo 680 with is a device with a Windows OS. If they made the 680 thinner, added wifi ... maybe went to a Linux OS, then maybe it might be interesting.

by Cashman | Jul 2, 2008 6:41:30 PM

Everyone talking down about the Palm devices and own something else, you wouldn't be here unless you are unhappy about your device. So just wait Palm will get it together.

by matt | Jul 19, 2008 5:10:48 PM

Agree, but Palm needs to get moving, all their competitors are killing them with new products - they need to step up their development schedule or they won't make it.

by kev | Jul 19, 2008 6:07:52 PM

Honestly ive used every single treo there is to use and personally id take the 800w keyboard layout (original treo keyboard) rather than the tiny gel-like keys smashed together on the centro-850, its so hard to type fast on those centro keys, its useless.

by C.J. | Jul 24, 2008 4:52:02 PM

What carrier will this phone be tied to? I just ordered a Treo 800....now I'm thinking maybe I should wait.

by JC | Jul 30, 2008 9:48:56 PM

According to other posts and local store - Q4 @ ATT

by JC | Jul 30, 2008 9:50:56 PM

PS - Just for me , I tried the 800 and it's bisggest drawbacks were the carrier it is tied to and dismal battery life!

by Joe M | Aug 17, 2008 2:56:12 PM

I must admit it looks good and the specs are competitive but can Palm Do something about their displays. Firstly Compared to the HTC and Iphone the picture quality is really bad and now the 850 is coming out with a screen size that looks smaller than my 750 and looks smaller than the Blackberry, Iphone and HTC.

Grow up and be Bold Palm

by serge | Aug 17, 2008 11:36:34 PM

BLACK COLOR IS NOT ENOUGH TO MAKE A SMARTPHONE I SEE THE
STILL SELF HATRED OF PALM SUBMITTED TO WINDOW AND UNABLE TO TRUST ITS OWN UNIVERSAL (for Macinosh users) Palm Software
HOW COULD YOU DARE COMPARE AND ANNOUNCE THIS DIESEL MOTOR TO AN IPHONE _ YOU MIGHT HAVE HALLUCINATED...

by Grand rapids Ice Boy | Sep 4, 2008 2:51:04 PM

This phone is awesome, I love it. I can't wait until it comes to Grand Rapids and I will be the first one to buy it and look cool. Join me Treonauts.