Verizon Centro Now Available!
Award-Winning & Bestselling Centro Smartphone Now Available On Verizon Wireless 3G Network
After selling well over one million Palm Centro smartphones with Sprint and AT&T, the Centro will now be available on the Verizon Wireless network starting this Friday, June 13 for just $99 (after a $70 rebate and with 2 year contract) – finally providing Verizon customers with the perfect and affordable tool to manage the busiest of lifestyles with voice, text messaging, e-mail and the Web.
The addition of the Palm Centro to the Verizon network expands Palm’s reach to one of the nation’s largest carriers (over 67.0 million customers) – now making the diminutive device the only touch screen smartphone to be available on the top three U.S. carriers for under $100 and ready to pass the 2.0 million unit sales milestone.
Available in elegant Cobalt Blue (see image above) the Verizon Centro is also the first Palm product to offer Verizon Wireless’ new Email and Web for Smartphone plan which provides unlimited wireless data at $29.99 a month – making it the lowest cost data plan ever for a Palm device on Verizon Wireless.
Centro runs on Verizon Wireless’ high-speed 3G data network, which gives customers the ability to quickly send and receive e-mail messages and attachments and browse rich Web content. Verizon Wireless customers can also use the Centro as a modem for their laptops when they subscribe to Verizon Wireless’ BroadbandAccess Connect service plan. The handset sports a vibrant color touch-screen, full QWERTY keyboard and a lightweight design.
Additionally, Centro’s built-in Google Maps application delivers quick, reliable directions and lets users perform local searches and view moveable/scalable maps, satellite imagery and traffic updates. Customers can also map a contact’s address directly from the contact application simply by selecting the “maps” button.
Customers using the stylish Centro will get access to VersaMail 4.0 with built-in Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync support for Microsoft Direct Push Technology to deliver e-mail and calendar updates from a home or office PC using Outlook directly to their handsets. Centro users also have the option of using Wireless Sync, Verizon Wireless’ proprietary e-mail solution, for quick and easy access to personal or corporate e-mail, contacts, calendar and tasks from their home or office PC. Wireless Sync supports POP3 or IMAP e-mail accounts and it supports Microsoft Exchange, IBM Lotus Notes and IBM Lotus Domino.
The Verizon Palm Centro also includes the following features and capabilities:
- Text, picture and video messaging (text messages are presented to customers in a “chat-style” view so customers can see their entire conversation unfold)
- Superior phone functionality, including one-touch speakerphone and conference calling, the ability to respond to a call with text messaging, and the option to use the touch-screen dial pad
- Smart, fast Web browsing using the award-winning Blazer browser
- 2x digital zoom camera with video capture
- Media player with Pocket Tunes Deluxe (PlaysForSure-compatible)
- Bluetooth v. 1.2 with support for Bluetooth accessories such as hands-free car kits and headset profiles
- 64 MB available user storage and microSD memory card slot with support up to 4 GB
- User-friendly, familiar Palm OS 5.4.9, including one-touch access to key applications
- Small, sleek form factor: 2.1” (l) x 4.2” (w) x 0.7” (d)
- 4.2 ounces with battery
- 320 x 320 pixel color touch-screen and full QWERTY keyboard for easier email, messaging and Web use
Since its debut in September 2007, the Palm Centro has steadily gained in popularity:
- Over one-million Centro smartphones sold since last September and well on the way to 2.0 million
- Thanks to Centro, Palm smartphone market share increased to 13.4% from 7.9% quarter over quarter (IDC, CQ1 2008)
Additionally, an early Centro buyer’s study shows that Palm is reaching new, younger, audiences:
- 70% of Centro buyers are new smartphone buyers;
- nearly double the number of women at 40%;
- more than twice the number under age of 35 to 50%;
- three times the number with HH income less than 75K to 50%
To illustrate how this new audience is reacting to the Centro experience, Palm has included the following video of four music artists who recently became Centronauts talking about how they use their smartphone to stay connected while traveling on tours: