Treo Pro Now Official

Palm Finally Unveils Ultraslim New Treo Pro With Official Picture & Video + More Info From New York Times

UPDATE: I have just received an email from Palm both in the US and the UK letting me know about the official announcement of the Palm Treo Pro which will be will be available in September in Europe through Vodafone (from free to EUR 399 with contract) and O2 (pricing is available from O2 direct sales and online business stores), and in Australia through Telstra (from free with contract).

Treo Treo by Palm

The Treo Pro will also be available in the United States in the fall through the Palm online store as well as select Internet, retail and enterprise resellers for a suggested retail price of $549. The U.S. version is unlocked and unsubsidized, giving end users the flexibility to simply insert their existing active SIM card and immediately start using their Treo Pro without a new contract.  [Note: It is also expected that AT&T will carry the new Treo Pro but nothing official yet.]

Treo Pro Images

Following the Treo Pro Images & Specifications that we saw on Monday, for a brief moment yesterday Palm issued an official press release announcing its absolutely gorgeous new Treo Pro smartphone along with the first official picture below of the device as well as a short demonstration video.  Within minutes though all of this information was promptly removed (again)…

Palm Treo Pro

The press release included a short product description posted along the image and video at the TheNewsMarket.com but said little more than: "Palm has unveiled a new mobile device, the Treo Pro smartphone.  The new phone features a one-touch Wi-Fi button, GPS, Windows Mobile 6.1 and a high-resolution flush color touch screen.  Available video includes the Treo Pro smartphone and Palm headquarters."

Treo Pro ad

Having said this, the video of the Treo Pro in action did contain a few interesting images (screenshots below) showing this smartphone making a call and demonstrating its slickness and slimness in your hand.

Treo Pro - Screen Treo Pro - Ultraslim

Additionally, it’s clear that Palm will push the mapping and GPS navigation capabilities of the Treo Pro (rumoured to include an internal GPS receiver) with Google Maps and the bundled Telenav software.

Treo Pro - Google Maps Treo Pro - Telenav

We also get a chance to see the Treo Pro using its 2.0 megapixel camera to take a picture outdoors and finally we also get to see the latest call screen on this Windows Mobile smartphone which now includes dedicated on-screen buttons for Speaker On, Mute, Hold as well as direct access to Note, Contacts and Unlock.

Treo Pro - Camera Treo Pro - Call Screen

As I mentioned earlier, now that Palm has made the Treo Pro 100% official it’s interesting to see The New York Times today confirm that: “On Wednesday, [Jon Rubinstein] and Ed Colligan, Palm’s chief executive, will announce the debut of a new smartphone primarily for business customers — the Treo Pro.”  This smartphone will also set a new trend for Palm as the company is “scrapping the use of numbers in product names”.

UPDATE2: Here is the official very cool Treo Pro video from Palm

Additionally, thanks to the article we find out that “the Treo Pro’s packaging was modernized.  It looks surprisingly (or maybe not so) like the jewel-box-size package Apple used for the iPhone”.  You can see this cool new packaging pictured below as well as at minute 1:58 in the above video.

Treo Pro - New Packaging

I also liked the quote by Richard Wong, a venture capitalist at Accel Partners in Palo Alto, who said, “Just when you count them [Palm] out, they do something interesting.”  This was certainly true with the Centro and it looks like the same will happen with the Treo Pro!

Palm Market Share 2008

The NYTimes article also includes a rather interesting chart (above) mapping the current US market share of top smartphone manufacturers by “Smartphones In Use” where you can clearly appreciate the decline that Palm has suffered over the past two years – particularly following the introduction of Apple’s iPhone.

Finally, given the fact that the design and looks of the Treo Pro are already causing quite a stir across the web I’m naturally curious to hear how you feel about it.  Please take a moment to cast your vote below and let your fellow Treonauts know if this latest Palm smartphone is hot or not.

New Palm Treo Pro

Is the Treo Pro hot or not?    Treo-Pro

Super Hot
Very Hot
Hot
Not
  Current Results

UPDATE3: Separately, for those who are only now finding out about this latest Treo Pro smartphone from Palm here is the lowdown…

Treo Pro Specs

Quick Facts:

• Touchscreen and full keyboard
  • Microsoft Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional Edition
  • Outlook email with Microsoft Direct Push Technology
    and HTML support
  • High-speed data with UMTS/HSDPA
  • High-capacity, removable battery
  • Instant-on Wi-Fi button
  • GPS for navigation, turn-by-turn directions, and local search
  • Microsoft Office Outlook Mobile for Contacts, Calendar,
    and Tasks
  • Edit native Microsoft Word and Excel documents4
  • Open and view PowerPoint, PDF, and ZIP files
  • Use Internet Explorer Mobile to search the web fast
  • Functions as a high-speed modem for your laptop
  • Personal email including Hotmail, Yahoo!, and Gmail
  • Chat-style view for SMS and MMS
  • Windows Media Player Mobile for audio and video
  • 2.0 megapixel camera with video capture

Specifications:

• Platform: Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional Edition
  • Processor: Qualcomm MSM7201 400MHz
  • Display: 320x320 transflective color TFT touchscreen
  • Radio: HSDPA/UMTS/EDGE/GPRS/GSM radio
              Tri-band UMTS — 850MHz, 1900MHz, 2100MHz
              Quad-band GSM — 850/900/1800/1900
  • Wi-Fi: 802.11b/g with WPA, WPA2, and 801.1x authentication
  • GPS: Built-in GPS (standalone and assisted)
  • Bluetooth wireless technology: Version 2.0 + Enhanced data rate (with Stereo Bluetooth capabilities)
  • Memory: 256MB storage (100MB user available), 128MB RAM
  • Camera: 2.0 megapixels, up to 8x digital zoom and video capture
  • Battery: Removable, rechargeable 1500mAh lithium-ion battery (up to 5.0 hours talk time and up to 250 hours standby)
  • Expansion: microSD cards (up to 32GB supported)
  • Connector: MicroUSB 2.0 for synchronization and charging
  • Audio: 3.5mm stereo headset jack
  • Dimensions: 2.36” (W) x 4.49” (L) x 0.53” (D); weighs 4.69 oz
             60mm (W) x 113mm (L) x 14mm (D); weighs 132 grams

To put some of the above specifications in perspective, compared to the iPhone the Treo Pro is almost exactly the same thickness (only 1.7mm difference) and weight.  The major benefit though is that the Treo Pro benefits from a removable high-capacity battery (5 hours talk time is great!) and also easy memory expansion via microSD cards.  The new digital camera with 8x digital zoom and video capture is also a nice plus.

Most people already agree that based on looks and specifications the Treo Pro is proving to be a real beauty!

Palm Seeks Path in Smartphone Jungle [New York Times]
The Treo Pro makes its video debut [Engadget]
Palm Accidentally Outs The Treo Pro. Again. [InformationWeek]

Treonauts are always super hot

Posted by Andrew on August 20, 2008 at 08:21 AM

Treo Pro

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Treo Pro Now Official:

Comments

by LeeD | Aug 22, 2008 1:19:44 AM

Let me also add that I hope that Palm is taking care of their software developer base and creates an OS that is not only stable, but flexible for the developers to create applications that users require.

In my opinion, most of the current applications for the Palm OS are amateur and insufficient.

What does it say about an OS, when one of the best selling software for 5+ years straight is Butler and other software from that company, that simply fix problems with the OS.

When the new Palm OS comes out, I let about 4-5 months pass for the early adopters to go through the bugs. If all's good, I'm in. If not, I'm gone forever. There's tremendous and constant innovation happening at Blackberry and Windows Mobile. I would in the end blame the CEO for providing the wrong guidance and he should feel the pain more than the employees (which rarely seems to happen now'a'days).

by Hilary | Aug 22, 2008 1:07:55 PM

does anyone know when verizon is going to get on board with any of these new phones? I am about ready to switch networks if they don't get with it.

by Geoff | Aug 24, 2008 12:51:13 AM

I love the look of the Pro and the Wi-fi / etc. and like many of you am very frustrated that they're releasing it with Windows. I've had a Palm smart phone for 4+ years (started with the 7135) and love it but was still pretty neutral and so got my wife a Windows smart phone a little over a year ago. It's a nightmare. Now I'm totally convinced that I don't want to go that way. Not to mention that plenty of the side software that I use is cheaper for the Palm and I already own it for the Palm.

The iPhone is cool and sexy (what my wife has now) but it still is missing KEY things like bluetooth stereo. I've been doing that for 3 years on my palm and you're telling me that the coolest music device on the planet (arguable) doesn't do it? You gotta be kidding me.

So I'm hanging out and waiting. Hoping that Palm releases something amazing next year that will still run Palm software. Otherwise maybe I'll have to jump to the iPhone too. Now that they have ereader ported that's a big step for me.

by Geoff | Aug 24, 2008 12:52:58 AM

One more thing. How can that chart be right? Palm supposedly sold 2M+ Centros this year and so how can that not have changed the graph more. I'm a bit skeptical.

by Miguel | Aug 24, 2008 9:21:40 PM

Also stuck with a Treo 650p/ATT carrier since 11/2005 I love but has become slow and antiquated...I started using the Palm platform in 1996 and as a business user, I fully agree with LeeD above: it is overdue time for Palm to come out with a better version with Palm OS or unfo I will migrate to a Blackberry with Windows OS.
MIGUEL

by Palm grows obsolete | Aug 25, 2008 10:35:44 AM

"How can that chart be right? Palm supposedly sold 2M+ Centros this year and so how can that not have changed the graph more."

The total market for smartphones has grown faster than Palm can maintain their marketshare.

Although Palm sold 2M Centros, it was a small percentage overall because more and more people are buying smartphones. Centro sold because it was cheap, cheap, cheap- but, overall, most people are choosing alternatives to Palm, such as Blackberry or iPhone, which are vastly more successful, and arguably, far superior.

by Bunnie Meyer | Aug 29, 2008 1:58:19 PM

I couldn't be more sad about Palm not being able to answer a question. I have a Treo 650 for one critical reason, I have my customer database on the phone using Filemaker Mobil 8, now discontinued.

$549 is high but I could pay it to buy a new "Pro."

I was shuttled from place to place to place by Palm and finally wound up with someone in India or Pakistan or Bangladesh who had no idea if I could use that critical software on the new phone.

How can Palm expect to sell a new phone to a loyal customer if they can't even tell me if the new one will run the same software as the old one?

I didn't ask if some esoteric software would work, I asked if a product Palm produced would work and to be given someone in a third world country that doesn't have a clue of what you are asking is so disappointing I can't say it without curse words.

With the phones I've lost and had stolen, I'm on my fourth Treo. I think I deserve better. And the 680 that was stolen, well good riddance, the 650 was a better phone, never should have "upgraded" to a worse phone.

by walter | Dec 11, 2008 7:52:36 PM

I don't know what matter's to you most but for me; it's spending five hundred plus for a new phone every couple of years, or the insult of trading my old phone in for pennies?, why, I'd rather use it as a backup phone if I lose my five hundred dollar plus phone, God forbid, I'm a Palm OS user, after the name of the Corp. so now I have to switch to Windows OS, why not both versions as previous models, so I should just throw my money away after spending it on my personal Palm OS programs, the ones I use for school, work, all the medical dictionaries, A&P prog. I purchased. Realistically the Pro doesn't really offer that much more than the iphone (excluding insurance) Blackberry, or whatever other sys. out but those two are the top, Palm used to be the top choice now we are like third or would it be forth? If you guys don't get it together soon my 700p will be replaced with a blackberry storm at least they are still faithfull with the choice of OS.

by walter | Dec 11, 2008 7:59:33 PM

P.S.

One more tip not to lose any more customers, whatever you guys decide at Palm, leave the keyboard, many of us don't like the idea of smudging the screen especially when the keyboards of iphone and blackberry don't work that well (carefull we already asking around).

by Adam | Jun 2, 2009 11:06:21 PM

question: i have the treo pro, i was on the internet explorer and i changed the view to full screen.what arhe hot buttons to get it back to normal view? being that the menu touchscreen option has issapeared i am having a hard time finding out to enter a url or even get to my favorites... i'm stuck can anyone help?