Treo Pro Preview

Palm’s “Super Hot” New Generation Treo Pro Smartphone Proudly in my Hands!

Treo Pro

After years waiting in frustration, I have to congratulate Palm for having successfully reached the first key milestone of its “transformation” by delivering the Treo Pro – the first Palm smartphone in years that can claim to be a true match against other high-end enterprise-class competitors.  It was about time guys!!!

Treo Pro Packaging

Even though previous Treo Pro images and specifications were helpful and more than a little bit exciting it certainly makes an even greater impression to have the Treo Pro physically in my hands – to say it’s “stunning” would be a gross understament.  You’d actually have difficulties believing this was truly a Palm Treo if the logo wasn’t on it.

Treo Pro - Kit

For starters, as previously reported (see Treo Pro Now Official) Palm has completely revamped its packaging – making it much smaller, more modern and uncluttered.  The box is almost two-thirds smaller than previous ones such as the Centro and Treo 800w pictured below.

Treo Pro - Packaging Comparison

While the packaging is certainly nice and helps to form your first positive impressions the fact is that it’s ultimately the actual design of the smartphone and its accessories that matters.  There’s no doubt that the Treo Pro has not only already matched my expectations in this regard but it’s also well on its way to exceeding them.

Treo Pro - Front

Whether you look at the front of the Treo Pro with its stunning full QWERTY keyboard and new completely flush screen or its back with a minimalist camera eye and redesigned speakerphone this is a smartphone that you just want to keep holding in your hands, look at and play with.

Treo Pro - Back

The Treo Pro looks a bit like a high-tech polished black pebble – a Zen of tranquility on the outside but one that also happens to be bursting with energy inside (thanks to a fast processor, 3G data, WiFi, GPS and a whole lot more).

Treo Pro - Screen & Keyboard Treo Pro - Camera & Speaker

As I mentioned earlier, Palm’s #1 job was to demonstrate that it could get its hardware “design mojo” back and I believe that it has finally done so with the Treo Pro – it’s quite a bit more than evolutionary but not (yet) revolutionary.

Treo Pro - Bottom Treo Pro - Top

One thing the Treo Pro can easily claim to be is the slimmest smartphone with a full keyboard and flush touchscreen that Palm has ever produced and possibly the slimmest Windows Mobile smartphone in the world right now.  I have no doubt that enterprise customers will likely be absolutely delighted when they get one.

Treo Pro - Wifi Button Side

It doesn’t matter how many pictures I have seen nor how many times I repeated that the Treo Pro is just as slim as the iPhone 3G nor that it’s about half the thickness of the Treo 750 that it replaces (image below with the Treo 800w in the middle) the fact is that you can’t “feel” how thin it really is until it sits in your hand.

Treo Pro - Size Comparison

What is particularly great about the Treo Pro is that Palm has finally also limited the number of compromises that it was willing to make to deliver such an ultraslim smartphone.  A perfect example of this is the 1500mAh battery (pictured below) which delivers a very healthy 5 hours of talk time.

Treo Pro - Battery & Back Cover

Almost every single detail about the Treo Pro conveys the feeling that (for a change) this was a work of love, passion and dedication where the many Palm designers paid thoughtful attention to even the smallest element and combined them to deliver this stunning smartphone.

Treo Pro - Screen Treo Pro - Browser

For starters, after having grown used to the small screen on my Centro I have to admit that I rather appreciated the extra real estate found on the Treo Pro which now offers a delightful flush high-resolution touchscreen.

Treo Pro - Keyboard Detail Treo Pro - Stylus Detail

The keyboard offers the same excellent “rubber sheet” technology as that found on the Centro but it’s 10% wider on the Treo Pro.  The stylus, now repositioned at the bottom, is solid and finally also in steel instead of bendy plastic.

Treo Pro - Sync, Charge & Stereo Treo Pro - Palm Logo

Palm has also for the first time added a full 3.5mm stereo jack as well as the fast and convenient microUSB 2.0 sync & charge connector.

Treo Pro - Camera Detail Treo Pro - Speaker Detail

Gone is the pointless self-portrait mirror at the back as well as the huge speaker.  Both are now replaced by minimalist designs with a small silver circle and capsule speaker.

Treo Pro - Reset Button Treo Pro - Call Button

Even a small button (above left) found behind the back cover was given attention to detail with the Palm logo delicately printed on it and more importantly there’s also the re-introduced reset button .  At the same time, the microSDHC memory card slot is easily accessible (just above the reset button) once you remove the back cover (which slides out towards the top).

Treo Pro Accessories Treo Pro - microUSB cable

Additionally, Palm’s renewed design momentum didn’t just stop with the packaging and smartphone but has also carried through in a new range of Treo Pro accessories.  The box includes a USB wall charger, microUSB sync & charge cable with round silver accents (above right) as well as a 3.5mm stereo headset which includes a rather convenient and discreet microphone with Call Answer/End button.

Treo Pro - Headset Treo Pro - Headset Microphone

At the same time, Palm has also revealed that it will shortly be releasing a new cradle, vehicle power adapter, side case (pictured below) as well as a travel microUSB cable, extra battery, audio adapter and styli.

Treo Pro - New Accessories

Overall, although this is but my first (rather positive) impression of the Treo Pro I think that it will be hard for anyone to truly and honestly dismiss this latest Palm smartphone.  Some are already calling it the best Windows Mobile smartphone available today and if our recent poll below is any indication nearly all Treonauts would seem to agree (over 90% voted it between Hot to Super Hot).

New Palm Treo Pro

Is the Treo Pro hot or not?    Treo-Pro

Super Hot
Very Hot
Hot
Not
  Current Results

I will share with you my full Treo Pro review next week but in the meantime please cast your vote above if you haven’t already done so and I look forward to reading your comments while I continue to delight playing with my shiny new smartphone…

Treonauts are always full of energy and passion

Posted by Andrew on August 22, 2008 at 09:38 AM

Treo Pro

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Treo Pro Preview:

Comments

by Stu | Sep 10, 2008 9:34:38 AM

So...after yesterday's rumors as to a Verizon offering of Treo PRO coming soon, any word as to like good news regarding a Pro with Palm OS rather than Windows Mobile?

-signed, happy 700P user wanting to upgrade

by bnycastro | Sep 15, 2008 5:21:20 AM

USD 550 is fair for unlocked WM device with this spec sheet.

i think it is inevitable that people compare every other device to the iphone. personally i think the iphone is on the loosing end on what i view is important in a device. hardware keyboard, expansion,
user replaceable battery -- safari, huge internal memory and the huge screen just doesn't make up for these losses. I think atm WM has more apps and it is more open to dev't -- you don't need to jailbreak it to run non-apple-approved apps.

apples and oranges, i think the iphone should be compared to touch devices only [samsung omnia, htc diamond etc etc] -- personally i think if you compare it to hwkb devices it just loses out on data/text entry. touch is nice for navigation hwkb is amazing for data entry with the tp i get the best of both worlds not just 1 option. more options is better for me! some may argue that they type just as fast on an onscreen kb, um... good for you, i've tried and i can't type well on it so it's not for me.

i will be waiting for the tp to hit the stores here!

by serge | Sep 25, 2008 6:28:08 PM

Hello
I had my Centro stolen in Argentina this summer... Fortunately I could switch to my Nokia E90 ( for its wonderful Wi-Fi access and large screen...)
As you brilliantly speak about the hardware of the Treo Pro can you give us a touch about the Treo Pro software content. In which way the presence of Window 6 changes the Palm usual patterns and apps.
I love Palm, I hate Window. I really wonder how could they match together. Can you enlight us please. As I am a Macintosh aficionado, you well know, that only a Palm software has been compatible with a Mac OS... This is why I am so frustrated by the last 5 years move of Palm to Window ...
Can you convince me of that move from, the software point of view ?
With some concrete examples. What has Window that Palm does not have ^
Thank You !

by Brett | Oct 5, 2008 8:42:56 PM

I have a question. Can I use the new Palm Treo Pro with Verizon? Thanks!

by Russ | Nov 2, 2008 12:35:23 PM

The Pro LOOKS great but are the 800w bugs gone? I really like the way the 800w is designed to work....sadly it just doesn't work very well.

by brent | Nov 6, 2008 7:29:23 PM

Looks like bad news for those of us that need the new Treo?????

C.L. King analyst Lawrence Harris writes today that it is “increasingly unlikely” that the Treo Pro will be offered by AT&T in time for the holiday shopping season, and that the same is true for the Treo 800w at Verizon.

Here is the link: http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2008/11/05/palm-shrs-tumble-morgan-keegan-avian-downgrade/

by JohnK | Nov 6, 2008 8:11:45 PM

1-Is the internet access speed similar or slower as compared to iPhone. I've seen Treo 750s that don't seem any faster than my 650, but my son's iPhone is blazing.
2- iPhone has the finger controls of Google Maps - to zoom or pull back by moving two fingers on the screen. Will either the Treo Pro or 800 do this?

by alex | Feb 17, 2009 8:48:23 PM

hey this phone is relly cool i just got 2 of them brand new in the box for sprint. i havent activated them yet going to soon idk what the sprint people are going to say when i call to activate it lolol its a really slick phone

by Wyden King | Apr 13, 2009 8:43:25 AM

Does it have an external keyboard?

by kyle | Apr 27, 2009 2:54:34 PM

is anyone else having signal troubles with there pro? I'm dropping calls where I have never dropped them before!

by Kerri | Jun 20, 2009 11:35:52 AM

Is the middle palm button by chance a mouse button. Right now I have a Windows Samsung phone and that button is a mouse button and I love it. Our company is changing to these phones, so just curious if it has that as well. Thanks.

by Jeff | Jan 4, 2010 10:41:35 PM

Has anyone any more idea what the small button with "palm" label underneath the back cover is for? I accidentally punctured it trying to use it as the reset button. Wondering if I did any real harm...